Cesafi, Aboitiz coordinate scheds, avoid conflict-A A +A
Sunday, July 15, 2012
THERE will no conflict between the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. Football and Aboitiz Football Cup.
This was assured by Cesafi Commissioner Felix Tiukinhoy Jr. who made an exemption to the rule prohibiting athletes from joining other tournaments outside Cesafi, after he allowed volleyball players to play in the GUV Cup while the tournament is still ongoing.
Cesafi has been strictly implementing the policy of not allowing players to compete in another tournament while the Cesafi is ongoing.
A few years ago, a player was banned for competing in an inter-barangay basketball league.
But such is not the case for football because Cesafi and the Aboitiz Cup schedules will not overlap.
“Wa may problema ang football kay ang schedule dili mag conflict sa Aboitiz Cup,” Tiukinhoy said.
Tiukinhoy said the organizers of the two football tournaments have coordinated to prevent any of these issues from cropping up during the tournament itself.
Football coaches and tournament managers, who gathered last Thursday, were already informed about this.
The commissioner added that he relied on this year’s Cesafi football tournament manager Francis Ramirez, who assured him that they already adjusted the schedules between the city’s two major football events to prevent any conflict.
Cesafi is now looking into where to hold the football games this year. So far, it is a toss-up among the Cebu City Sports Center, Aboitiz Field and the University of San Carlos Talamban. The sports center is newly-rehabilitated, while USC is still in the middle of rehabilitation and can be used by the end of September.
The screening of players, on the other hand, is set on Aug. 7.
The Aboitiz Cup is also willing to have the categories Boys 17 and 19 start at a later date, once the Cesafi footballl tournament is over, to eliminate conflict and to clear the players for the other tournaments.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 16, 2012.