Formula One to Ironman 70.3-A A +A
Sunday, July 22, 2012
FORMER Formula One world champion and current Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver Jenson Button confirmed his participation in the Cobra Ironman 70.3 Philippines, which has attracted 1,600 participants, set this Aug. 5 at the Shangri-la Resort and Spa, Mactan,Cebu Button, currently Formula One’s No. 8 driver, gave the confirmation last Tuesday.
Button has said on website that he considers triathlon as a perfect cross-training for F1.
Button’s supermodel girlfriend Jessica Michibata will be competing in the relay race along with Sportswriters Association of Cebu president John Pages and Congressman Red Durano.
Button, who has been competing and training for triathlon events, will be hosting his
first triathlon race dubbed the “Jenson Button Trust Triathlon” on Aug.19 in London, England.
It is a fund-raising activity in support of the Help for Heroes, which caters to wounded servicemen and women returning from Afghanistan and Iraq.
Button will be among the international celebrities that will be seeing action in the race.
He will be racing alongside local celebrities like Richard Guiterrez, Matteo Guidecelli, Jenelyn Mercado, Sen. Pia Cayetano, businessmen Fernando Zobel De Ayala and Alaska CEO Wilfredo Uytengsu Jr.
Cebu City’s support
Meanwhile, with just two weeks to go before the race, organizers have been assured the support of all the cities and municipalities involved in the race route except for one—Cebu City.
Lapu-Lapu, Mandaue and Talisay have thrown their all-out support for the biggest triathlon hosting to hit the island. But Cebu has not.
Even if Cebu traffic head Jack Jakosalem had already expressed his support, Cebu Ironman coordinator Oscar Rodriguez said he has not received any commitment from the barangay officials just yet.
“We have not received any commitment yet from the Cebu City barangays. We hope to settle everything by next week. We badly need the cooperation from all the barangays, especially the ones near the port, which is part of the bike race route. There are so many people, passengers and cargo trucks in that area,” Rodriguez said.
He added he will still be meeting with the barangay heads this week. He met with them last Saturday to talk about traffic control and safety measures.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 23, 2012.