Melindo’s option-A A +A
Thursday, July 26, 2012
MILAN Melindo will have to wait a little longer for his long overdue crack at a world championship after being snubbed by World Boxing Organization (WBO) flyweight king Brian Viloria.
Melindo will have to wait for next year to cash in on his mandatory world title shot after Viloria chose to have a unification bout with World Boxing Association (WBA) flyweight titleholder Hernan “Tyson” Marquez.
“I will be at the WBO convention in October in Florida so I hope to discuss with Paco (WBO president Francisco Valcarcel) the mandatory title shot of Milan. Hopefully we could do it next year,” ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.
Aldeguer is targeting the winner of the Viloria-Marquez fight in September as Melindo’s opponent in the first quarter of 2013.
unbeaten Melindo, who is rated No. 1 by the WBO, has voiced out his willingness to trade leathers with fellow Filipino fighter Viloria for the WBO flyweight title but the challenge has been ignored.
Melindo gained his mandatory status after a stunning first round knockout over former world champion Jesus Geles last month.
Because Viloria will face Marquez instead of him, Melindo will keep himself busy and will be defending his WBO International flyweight crown, which he won against Geles, in Pinoy Pride 16 on Sept. 22 at the Waterfront Hotel and Casino in Cebu City.
“Hopefully this will be his last before a world title shot. I hope to have an answer when I attend the WBO convention,” said Aldeguer.
Viloria and Marquez are fighting a week later on Sept. 29 in the US.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 27, 2012.