Pressure mounts for 2013 national meet-A A +A
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
CEBU City has been producing the bulk of the athletes representing Region 7 (Central Visayas region) in the Palarong Pambansa. And now, Region 7 will be hosting the national meet in 2013.
That is why, in the Cebu City Olympics, set to open tomorrow, Thursday, at the Cebu City Sports Center, the pressure to come up with the best selection mounts.
“We will have the homecourt edge in the Palaro, so it gives us all the more reason to double our efforts to come up with the best team that will finally improve our finish in the Palarong Pambansa,” said Cebu City Schools Division Superintendent Rhea Mar Angtud.
Region 7 had placed fourth overall in at least six years.
The organizers are giving a lot of importance to the team events as these stake more points compared to the individual events. The winners in the city meet will represent Cebu in the regionals in Dumaguete City, which is also the venue for the Palarong Pambansa in 2013.
To be assured of getting the best teams for the regional meet, before the Cebu City Olympics, cluster eliminations were held for the team events. Only those who topped their respective clusters will compete in the Cebu City Olympics to play the winners of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi), the premier school-based athletic competition in Cebu.
“It is a good thing that there is unity in Cebu. There are no conflicts now so we can all move toward coming up with the best lineup for the regional meet,” said Ballesteros. The City Olympics had a scheduling conflict with Cesafi last year.
“If ma-unite lang, lig-on gyud ta,” said Ballesteros.
Technical head Danilo Villadolid also expressed confidence that they will be getting the best players to compose the Cebu City team for the regionals and nationals because of the new format being used this year.
“Na hashasan na gyud ang mga muduwa sa City Olympics because of the cluster eliminations. Also, the format won’t be like last year, where the knock-out system was used. This format is very dangerous because one mistake and the best teams will be out of the game. This year, we will divide them into brackets and will play a round-robin format,” said Villadolid.
Meanwhile, the coach who was found to have submitted an erroneous record to the Milo Little Olympics will be banned for life in that event. He will, however, have another lease on life as all he got from the Department of Education was a slap on the wrist and he will be allowed to showcase his elementary boys volleyball team in the Cebu City Olympics.Angtud said the coach of the elementary boys volleyball team from Tejero Elementary School received a stern warning from her. But after his explanation, his team was still given a chance to show what it is made of.
The coach submitted a birth certificate of an athlete who was overaged in the Milo Little Olympics. The coach said he just submitted the records given to him by the
“Nauwaw man sad mi ato. But nonetheless, we will be allowing the school to join the Cebu City Olympics since it has a strong volleyball team. And we don’t want to drag the entire team because one player sent an erroneous document,” said Angtud.
In tomorrow’s opening, the Cebu City Sports Commission’s Edward Hayco said they will be brandishing the certification from the Guinness World Records for the largest chess tournament in the world.
University of Cebu swimmer Michael Ichiro Kong will be lighting the urn. UC arnis coach Dexter Opalla will lead the oath of sportsmanship, while the oath of amateurism will be led by Milo Little Olympics most outstanding player Dexter Opalla.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on November 07, 2012.