Melindo to face Seran in blockbuster event in Macau-A A +A
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
MILAN Melindo is facing fellow World Boxing Organization (WBO) No. 1 rated boxer Tommy Seran in Top Rank’s big even in Macau on April 6.
“It’s about 95 percent until we sign the contract. So far things look fine as I just got an email from Bob Arum about Tommy Seran and we both agreed with it since Seran is also the WBO No. 1 junior flyweight so it should be a great fight,” ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.
Melindo is ranked No. 1 in the flyweight division, while Seran is also No. 1 a division lower, in the light flyweight class.
The unbeaten 24-year-old Filipino prospect is being featured in one of Top Rank’s events because he would likely be next in line for a shot at the WBO flyweight belt, currently with Brian Viloria, who is fighting in the main event against former world title challenger Juan Francisco Estrada.
“Top Rank wanted an Asian fighter for Milan since the fight is in Macau and Viloria had a Mexican as an opponent already so we wanted a highly ranked opponent for Milan, so that’s why Seran was on the list since he is also rated No. 1 in the world just like Milan,” said Aldeguer.
Melindo is 28-0 with 11 knockouts, while the 29-year-old Seran is 23-1 with 14 knockouts.
Melindo is the current WBO International flyweight champion and has beaten the likes of former world champions Carlos Tamara, Jesus Geles, John Piero Perez and Muhammad Rachman.
Seran, on the other hand, is the present WBO Asia-Pacific light flyweight titleholder.
He has not faced any prominent names but has wins over four Filipino pugs – Mating Kilakil, Jason Rotoni, Fernando Ocon and Marzon Cabilla.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 13, 2013.