Wish granted : Rigondeaux to take on Donaire-A A +A
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
IT SEEMS as though two-time Olympic gold medalist and current World Boxing Association super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux’s longtime wish of fighting Nonito Donaire Jr. has been granted.
According to The Ring Magazine website, the 32-year-old Cuban Olympian already signed yesterday a contract to face Donaire Jr., the World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight king, in a title unification fight on April 13.
"Pat (English) called me to say that it has happened and that he had forwarded it to my office," said Top Rank head Bob Arum. "I believe him, because he's a responsible guy," Rigondeaux said.
English is the attorney of Gary Hyde, Rigondeaux’s manager.
Although Donaire Jr. hasn’t signed the contract yet, Arum assured that it is already a done deal.
“Everything is in the process of happening," said Arum. "When it happens, it will happen, and then, we'll announce the signing and the venue."
Rigondeaux has been calling out to Donaire Jr. since last year.
Rigondeaux, 11-0 with eight knockouts, won all three of his title defenses in 2012. He knocked out erstwhile unbeaten Rico Ramos and Teon Kennedy, while he settled for a unanimous decision win against Robert Marroquin.
Donaire Jr. had a banner year last year winning “Fighter of the Year” honors from different organizations including the prestigious Sugar Ray Robinson award from the Boxing Writers Association of America.
Donaire Jr. started last year with a split decision over Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. for the vacant WBO super bantamweight strap. He unified both the WBO and International Boxing Federation super bantamweight belts with a unanimous decision over Jeffrey Mathebula before winning back-to-back wins over two of the division’s elite —Toshiaki Nishioka and Jorge Arce.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 13, 2013.