Donaire threatens to pull out of fight-A A +A
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
NONITO Donaire Jr. threatened to pull out of his world title unification bout with Guillermo Rigondeaux yesterday.
Donaire Jr. was upset after Rigondeaux didn’t comply with one of the terms of their fight – to undergo random drug testing by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (Vada).
“I want you guys to hear it from me first. I am not going to NYC for the presser this Thursday because Rigo is backing off his agreement to Vada drug testing. Rigo’s team verbally agreed to Vada testing both online and in negotiations. But now that the contract to start testing is in front of them, they are finding every excuse not to sign and delay the start of the testing. I have not signed my fight contract yet to fight him so I have no obligation to fight only him. It disappoints me that top fighters these days run from everything that will hold professional boxing integrity to its highest standard. I will be looking into other opponents with my manager, Cameron Dunkin immediately,” Donaire Jr. said through Twitter yesterday.
World Boxing Organization super bantamweight Donaire Jr. and World Boxing Association super bantamweight titleholder Rigondeaux is scheduled to fight on April 13 at in New York City.
Rigondeaux’s manager Gary Hyde explained that it was just a misunderstanding and that the two-time Olympic gold medalist was willing to undergo the necessary drug tests.
“Rigo has never refused to sign up for Vada testing. I asked Top Rank lawyer Dan Pancheri today if he would send the Vada agreement in Spanish as Rigo does not understand English. I also asked that all substances given to Doniare by Victor Conte be sent to us so that we could have them checked out,” Hyde told Boxing Scene.
“I have just received the Vada agreement in Spanish and Victor Conte has agreed to send us all the substances he is giving Donaire. Rigo will now sign the Vada agreement and Donaire should sign the contract,” he added.
However, Donaire said in a final post that he learned Rigondeaux will sign the contract before the scheduled press conference and added it won’t push through if the fighter won’t sign it.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 21, 2013.