Dy, Mata miss cut in pro debut-A A +A
Thursday, March 21, 2013
CEBU’s newest pro golfers Mark Dy and Agustin Gus Mata missed the cut but consider their first pro golf tournament as challenging in the P2.5 million ICTSI Sherwood .
Dy said that although he missed the cut, he finished at 68th place out of 85 golfers and competing against seasoned players was a different feeling.
“It’s very different playing seasoned professional golders, but on a bright side I gained the much needed experience, exposure and also gained new friends. This Sherwood leg will surely help me in the legs to come as the golf course was very hard and was truly a character builder,” Dy said
Meanwhile, another Cebuano Charles Hong is still in the hunt for the title as he scored a 72 in the second round for a two-day 142. He is two strokes behind leader Miguel Tabuena, who outgunned Mhark Fernando and Toru Nakajima in their backside shootout and fired a 69 for the lead.
“It’s a tough course. I’m currently second place going into the last two days. Playing well and hopefully that continues,” said Hong who won Pueblo de Oro leg last year.
He added that its nice knowing that Cebuanos are already taking notice of the professional tour.
“It makes us feel proud that we are representing Cebu on the professional tour which is predominantly ruled by golfers from Davao, Manila and Bacolod,” Hong said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 22, 2013.