CCSC starts 3-month archery tilt-A A +A
Saturday, October 12, 2013
THE quest to break the world record for the biggest the archery tournament is now a step closer, with the holding of the in-school tournaments.
Before that, the Cebu City Sports Commission, Department of Education and the Cebu Archery Club conducted seminars for the teachers, who in turn taught their students to use a bow and arrow. The in-school tournaments, which started last Sept. 16, are the final phase of CCSC’s attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the largest archery tournament currently held by the US.
“Guinness archery has started and will go on for the next three months or more. We have already finished with the Gothong Memorial National High school, Malubog Integrated School, Alaska Elementary School and City Central School. Tomorrow (today) we will be in Opra Elementary School then on Tuesday at the Bulacao Community School. The event will start from 9 a.m. and will last the entire day,” CCSC chairman Edward Hayco told Sun.Star Cebu.
CCSC is aiming to break the current record of 9,426 participants in the US set last May.
Hayco is hoping to gather at least 10,000 archers but if they fall short , CCSC has options. They are also looking at setting the record for the world’s largest archery class or the largest number of archers shooting arrows together.
So far, the organizers have attracted 8,300 participants from 30 schools.
Hayco also announced CCSC will launch today free Zumba lessons at the Fort San Pedro starting at 4 p.m.
“We have a US-trained Zumba instructor to do this. We’re encouraging the community to live a healthy lifestyle and join this free activity,” Hayco said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 13, 2013.