Confident Casimero-A A +A
Monday, October 21, 2013
IT has been over half a year since International Boxing Federation (IBF) light flyweight champion Johnriel Casimero last fought and for most boxers that could lead to ring rust.
However, for the 23-year-old world champion of the Omega Boxing Gym, the long lay off has given him much needed-time for training.
“I will surprise the people. I will show the people that something special will happen in this fight that will shock them all,” a fired up Casimero told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.
Casimero will defend his crown this Saturday night against Mexican former world title challenger Felipe Salguero at the Makati Coliseum in Makati City.
“I had a long and good preparation. I also had good sparring,” he said.
Casimero, 18-2 with 10 knockouts, has been sparring with some of the best fighters Cebu has to offer, like World Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes, one-time world title contender Milan Melindo, Rocky Fuentes and Arthur Villanueva.
This is Casimero’s first world title fight in the Philippines. He won the crown in a riot-marred fight in Argentina against Luis Alberto Lazarte last year. He defended it last year against Pedro Guevara in Mexico and against Luis Alberto Rios in Panama last March.
Casimero also got a few tips on how to fight Salguero from Nietes, who fought the Mexican last year in Manila.
“Donnie said that the key to beating him is to use my uppercut,” he said.
Salguero, 18-4-1 with 13 knockouts, fought two of his last five fights against Nietes and former world title challenger Rios. Salguero, rated No. 6 in the IBF, has won back-to-back fights against Javier Roman and Armando Vazquez.
“We have seen videos of Salguero. In the first five rounds, he runs around the ring but in rounds six to 12 he moves in. We are ready for whatever he does,” Casimero’s coach Christopher “Ping-Ping” Tepora said.
Even though Casimero has fought some of the best, Tepora believes that Salguero won’t be a walk in the park.
“He is a type of fighter that you don’t take lightly because he has a lot of experience. We will do our best to win this fight,” he said.
Casimero and his team are leaving for Manila today.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 21, 2013.