Parklane seeks apology from Sugbutri-A A +A
Thursday, October 24, 2013
THE Cebu Parklane International Hotel, the organizer of the Hunat Sugbo Triathlon Goes to Oslob held last Oct. 6 is demanding a public apology from their technical partner, the Sports Adventure Travel Services (SATS) also known as the Sugbutriathlon, after a glitch in the issuance of results during the race.
According to the hotel’s general manager Cenelyn Manguilimotan, who is also the Hunat Sugbu Triathlon chairman, they sent a letter to their technical team, addressed to SATS and Sugbutriathlon’s Benjoe Gimenez and Jess Arriola, saying that the triathletes were inconvenienced because Sugbutriathlon failed to provide the accurate results right after the race, which was stipulated in their contract.
Aside from releasing the results late, they reportedly released two sets of winners.
“They gave us two different results. We declared winners who are not supposed to be there. We have a different set of winners in the relay announced after the race and a different set in the results they gave us 10 days later,” Manguilimotan said.
Gimenez did not offer any explanation as to why it happened but said they will arrange a meeting with Cebu Parklane International Hotel to discuss the issue and settle it as soon as possible.
Sugbutriathlon is the technical group tapped by Parklane for this race and for the Tabuelan 111 last June and last year. It has also organized the Tri Team Series Championship for two years and has staged several successful triathlons in the Visayas and Mindanao.
Manguilimotan said they strive to satisfy their clients especially in their sporting events. But due to the delay and inefficient handling of the race, she said it tainted Hunat Sugbu’s credibility.
Hunat Sugbo has been staging successful runs for three years and this was its first attempt to host a triathlon. It was overwhelmed by the complaints lodged by the participants.
“We have successfully hosted three running events. Now, we have ventured to triathlons. We hired Sugbutriathlon because they are a reputable organization. But unfortunately, they didn’t deliver. They never did their share to make it successful,” said Manguilimotan.
Manguilimotan said that they did get positive feedback from participants whose purpose was a triathlon experience, but it was overshadowed by the dismay of the competitive triathletes, who raced to win and to set personal records.
Manguilimotan said that now they have a new set of winners, they don’t intend to take the awards from those awarded in the first result.
“We actually ordered another set of medals for our new winners from the second result they gave us,” said Manguilimotan.
She also said that they also sent an apology letter to all the participants for the inconvenience.
Hunat Sugbo is planning on hosting the Hunat Sugbo Triathlon Argao Edition set in September next year.
“There is always room for improvement. Hopefully our participants will still join. We have learned from this experience and we are confident that we will be better or even close to perfect in the Argao edition,” said Manguilimotan.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 24, 2013.