GAB to raise Jaca issue with Australian Embassy-A A +A
Monday, October 28, 2013
THE Games and Amusements Board will complain to the Australian Embassy about the plight of Cebuano boxer Jimrex Jaca.
Jaca and his trainer Franklin Albia had a horrible experience in Australia last week and claimed he received an offer to throw away his scheduled fight with Aussie Chad Bennett and he wasn’t also paid the purse.
Jaca was allegedly offered AUS 2,000 (P82,000), while Albia $AUS 1,500 (P61,500) to let Bennett win their scheduled bout last Oct. 23 in the undercard of the Shane Mosley vs. Anthony Mundine fight at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.
“We will write to the promoter and to the Australian Embassy to complain,” GAB chairman Juan Ramon Guanzon told Sun.Star Cebu.
“They have to honor their commitment,” said Guanzon referring to Jaca’s predicament of coming home to the Philippines penniless after his fight was cancelled because the boxing show was scrapped a few days before fight night.
The event, which was promoted by Vlad Warton’s Millennium Events, was cancelled after Mosley pulled out of the fight and went home because he didn’t receive the rest of his purse days before the fight.
Jaca was offered to throw away the fight by an alleged cohort of Bennett a couple of times by the former world title contender and his coach repeatedly refused the deal.
Because of the boxing show’s abolition, Bennett’s cohort threw in a new deal, offering Jaca a new date on Dec. 6 and offering him a bigger purse of $AUS 14,000 (P574,000) plus additional cash for him to lose the fight.
Aside from being bribed and not being paid by the promoter, Jaca and Albia had to pay for their food and fare going back to the airport, which should have been shouldered by the promoter.
“This should reach the Australian Embassy so that the next batch of boxers will be forewarned from promoters like that,” said Guanzon.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on October 29, 2013.