Huey, Inglot fail to advance in Australian Open

-A A +A

Wednesday, January 22, 2014


FILIPINO doubles specialist Treat Conrad Huey and doubles partner Dominic Inglot of the United Kingdom bombed out of the Australian Open men’s doubles after losing to Eric Butorac and Raven Klaasen, 3-7, 8-6, 6-4, in the quarterfinals yesterday.

Klaasen and Butorac rode on the coattails of their huge third round win, where they eliminated topseeds and defending champions Bob and Mike Bryan of the USA to beat Huey and Inglot.

Huey and Ingot are seeded 12th in the tournament. In Round 3 the other day, Huey and Inglot upset seventh-seed Rohan Bopanna of India and Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi of Pakistan, 6-4, 7-6. In the second round, they beat Italians Andreas Seppi and Potito Starace, 6-3, 7-5, 6-1; and overpowered Colombia’s Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in the opening round, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Advertisement

Making it to the quarterfinals was a huge improvement from Huey and Inglot’s performance from last year where they failed to make it past the first round.

Meanwhile, Eugenie Bouchard has reached the semifinals in her first trip to the Australian Open, beating 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic 7-5, 5-7, 6-2 on Tuesday to set up a showdown with fourth-seeded Li Na.

The result means two-time Australian Open finalist Li, who beat Flavia Pennetta 6-2, 6-2 in an earlier quarterfinal featuring two women who’ll turn 32 next month, will have to face a teenager for the third time in the tournament.

The 19-year-old Bouchard, the first Canadian to reach the Australian Open semifinals, played with composure against former No. 1-ranked Ivanovic, who started the season with a title at Auckland, New Zealand, and produced a major upset to eliminate top-ranked Serena Williams in the fourth round.

Bouchard went to the net 24 times and won 19 of those points. She broke Ivanovic’s serve seven times, including the last game, and had to sit through a lengthy time out when she was leading 4-3 in the second set while her opponent received treatment.

Despite the relative speed of her success, Bouchard said she didn’t experience any “pinch me” moments.

“It’s something I’ve been doing since I was five years old and working my whole life for and sacrificing a lot of things for, so it’s not exactly a surprise,” she said. “I always expect myself to do well. I’m just happy to have gone through this step. I’m not done.”

The WTA Tour’s “Newcomer of the Year” in 2013, Bouchard is playing just her fourth Grand Slam tournament, having lost in the second rounds at the French Open and U.S. Open last year and reached the third round at Wimbledon — the only previous major where she’d managed back-to-back victories. The second of those was against Ivanovic, in straight sets — their only previous meeting. (AP)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 22, 2014.

Sports

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for November 28, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Pnoy
  • goodearth
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Pacman blog
  • Sunstar Multimedia