Manny: Still no decision on next foe-A A +A
Thursday, January 23, 2014
WITH just three months to his ring return in April, Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent is still undetermined.
The 35-year-old eight-division world champion hasn’t reached a decision with his promoter, Top Rank head honcho Bob Arum, on who his next opponent will be on April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas contrary to reports that it is already Timothy Bradley .
“I have not talked with Bob (Arum). I still have no idea,” Pacquiao said yesterday in his visit to the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC).
Pacquiao was a special guest in a performance by the famous dancing inmates and the newly formed CPDRC boxing team or Supermax Boxers.
Pacquiao’s possible foe for April are either Bradley and Russian Ruslan Provodnikov.
Pacquiao said he has no problem facing either of the two and is willing to give either boxer a chance at facing him.
“I have no problem fighting anybody. Whoever my promoter says, I will fight,” he said.
If Pacquiao chooses Bradley, then it will be a rematch of a controversial fight back in 2012.
Bradley dethroned Pacquiao of World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown with a split decision, ending the Filipino superstar’s long 15-bout winning romp for seven years.
Provodnikov, on the other hand, is Pacquiao’s sparring partner and also trains under Freddie Roach at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood.
Provodnikov is the current WBO light welterweight king after a stoppage win over Mike Alvardo last year.
After losing back-to-back fights, his last a devastating sixth round knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, Pacquiao has successfully bounced back with a one-sided unanimous decision over American brawler Brandon Rios last year.
Pacquiao and Arum’s decision may be known next week.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 24, 2014.