Milan’s next crack

-A A +A

Monday, May 5, 2014


FOLLOWING a failed bid at becoming a world champion, Milan Melindo has been flying under the radar.

He once fought as one of the main supporting bouts of a Pinoy Pride event last year and then he is seeing action this Saturday as one of the undercard fights of the much anticipated rematch between World Boxing Organization (WBO) light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes and Mexican challenger Moises Fuentes.

That lull would soon be over as ALA Promotions is pushing for another world title fight for Melindo, who is still one of the best Filipino fighters in the 112 pound division.

“We are open to any world champion for Milan and we will make an offer to the different organizations’ champions. If Milan goes through with an impressive win on May 10 then hopefully we can get a title shot for him this year,” ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer told Sun.Star Cebu.

The 26-year-old Melindo is defending his WBO International flyweight belt against Martin Tecuapetla at the SM Mall of Asia Arena this Saturday night.

Melindo is expected to breeze through the unheralded Mexican but Aldeguer believes that this isn’t just a mere tune-up fight.

“I cannot say it is a tune-up because Mexican fighters can never be underestimated but what we are hopeful for is to get Milan a world title shot this year,” he said.

Tecuapetla has an 11-5-2 slate with eight knockouts. The only notable fighter whom he has fought is Oscar Blanquet, who knocked him out in 2012.

Melindo, 30-1 with 12 knockouts, is currently ranked seventh in the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and fifth in the WBO.

The current champions in the division are Juan Francisco Estrada (26-2, 19 KOs), who holds the WBO and World Boxing Association (WBA) flyweight belts; Juan Carlos Reveco (33-1, 18 KOs), who is the regular WBA flyweight champion; Amnat Ruenroeng (12-0, 5 KOs), the IBF flyweight titleholder; and Akira Yaegashi (20-3, 10 KOs), the World Boxing Council flyweight champion.

Last year, Milan Melindo challenged Estrada for his twin crowns but the Filipino fighter lost by unanimous decision last July 27 in Macau.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 06, 2014.

Sports

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for August 30, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Technology
  • Calamity Report
  • Pacman blog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper