Arum eyes Algieri vs. Pacquiao-A A +A
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
CHRIS Algieri isn’t the biggest name out there, but he is seriously being considered as Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao’s next opponent.
Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum has sent Algieri an offer to fight the 35-year-old Filipino icon in on Nov. 11 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.
“We have a Pacquiao offer on the table and we are negotiating that actually as we speak. And I expect that we’re going to have a resolution within the next day or two,” Algieri’s promoter Joe DeGuardia told nydailynews.com.
DeGuardia didn’t disclose the offer but said that Algieri will be receiving a seven-figure offer to move up to the welterweight division and challenge Pacquiao for his WBO welterweight belt.
The unbeaten Algieri made noise after a split decision victory over Ruslan Provodnikov, who was also one of Pacquiao’s possible opponents, last month to claim the WBO light welterweight strap.
The 30-year-old Algieri is 20-0 with eight knockouts. He hasn’t faced any renowned boxer aside from Provodnikov, who is Pacquiao’s sparring partner.
Following a tough knockout loss to his rival Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012, Pacquiao has won back-to-back fights against Brandon Rios and Timothy Bradley.
He is 56-5-2 with 38 knockouts.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 10, 2014.