Cesafi football to open Aug. 31-A A +A
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
BEFORE the month ends, the premier school-based football tournament in Cebu will kick off.
The Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) starts its football tournament on Aug. 31, the last Sunday of August.
Cesafi football tournament manager Francis Ramirez told Sun.Star Cebu that the date and the venue has been finalized but he has yet to map out the scheduled games on the opening day.
“We will start on Aug. 31 with six teams in college and five teams for high school,” he said. “The venue (Cebu City Sports Complex) is still the same. I still have to finalize the schedule.”
Defending collegiate division champions University of San Jose-Recoletos (USJ-R) will be back in action to defend its belt against last year’s runner up University of San Carlos (USC), second runner-up University of Southern Philippines Foundation (USPF), University of Cebu, University of the Visayas and Don Bosco College.
USJ-R beat USC, 4-3, on penalty shootout to win the title last year for back-to-back championships.
In the high school division, reigning champions Don Bosco Technology Center (DBTC) are defending their crown against rival and first runner-up Sacred Heart School-Ateneo de Cebu (SHS-AdC), second runner-up USPF, USC and USJ-R.
DBTC dethroned SHS-AdC last year after beating the latter 4-2 on penalties.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 20, 2014.