ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer is surprised and confused by the International Boxing Federation’s (IBF) order of a rematch between light flyweight champion Milan Melindo and Hekkie Budler.
The IBF ordered an immediate rematch between Melindo and Budler following a protest by Colin Nathan on the fight’s officiating last month here in Cebu City.
“I am still in shock,” Aldeguer told SunStar Cebu. “We will go over this and will surely make an appeal to the IBF.”
Melindo defended his IBF light flyweight belt with a split decision win over Budler.
Nathan’s protest is aimed at referee Wes Melton’s officiating, for giving Melindo a knockdown in the 12th round that was a game-changer. He also complained about Japanese Takeo Harada’s score of 117-110 in favor of Melindo. Glenn Trowbridge scored it 115-112 for Melindo, while Carl Zappia scored it 115-113 for Budler.
Nathan also protested against Melindo’s cornerman, Edito Villamor, for placing adrenalin during a 60-second break ordered by Melton to have Melindo’s cut checked by the physician.
If Nathan’s claims are warranted, then Aldeguer will be willing to give him a rematch. However, ALA Promotions’ first option is Melindo’s welfare.
“Yes, if we feel that it justifies the decision for a rematch but right now, we can’t see it as Milan clearly won the fight. If it’s because of the corner’s concern, which was allowed by the referee, then why penalize the fighter for winning the fight clearly on his own merit? The Budler fight was an optional defense and not mandatory. We have to review everything and see what’s out there for the best interest of Milan,” he said. “We are now focused on the letter from the IBF and will see what’s the best direction to take.” (EKA)
Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 21, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.