Province’s 200 OFF to Batang Pinoy | SunStar

Province’s 200 OFF to Batang Pinoy

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Province’s 200 OFF to Batang Pinoy

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

CLOSE to 200 athletes from Cebu Province will join the 2017 Batang Pinoy-Visayas Leg, which fires off on Nov. 10 to 16 in Dumaguete City.

After a series of qualifiers, Cebu Province has identified its team, composed of 176 athletes, for the 15-Under event spearheaded by Philippine Sports Commission (PSC).

The athletes will be accompanied by 41 coaches and 15 delegation officials.

“The training of the athletes is still ongoing. We started the training two months ago,” said lawyer Ramil Abing, executive director of the Cebu Provincial Sports Commission (CPSC).

Cebu Province will have representatives in arnis, athletics, badminton, baseball, boys’ and girls’ basketball, boxing, chess, karatedo, sepak takraw, softball, swimming, table tennis, taekwondo and tennis.

The qualifiers in the Visayas Leg will earn a slot to the national finals on Feb. 18, 2018.

With its continuous training, the CPSC is hoping that more athletes from Cebu Province will clinch a spot in the national finals.

“We’re hoping for a better performance and more medals, especially gold medals,” said Abing.

Last year, Cebu Province had an impressive stint in the annual meet in Tagum City, racking up 17 gold medals, 18 silvers and 17 bronzes. The Cebu Province delegation will leave for Dumaguete City on Nov. 8.

Meanwhile, the Batang Pinoy-Luzon Leg started last Oct. 22 in Vigan, Ilocos Sur. The event is set to wrap up on Saturday. (RSC)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on October 26, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments