Melindo is ready to bounce back | SunStar

Melindo is ready to bounce back

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Melindo is ready to bounce back

Thursday, January 04, 2018

Bouncing back. After a devastating loss, Milan Melindo (left) is already open to a rematch with Ryoichi Taguchi or Akira Yaegashi. (AP Foto)

IF given a chance, Milan Melindo is ready to go for another 12 rounds with unified World Boxing Association (WBA) and International Boxing Federation (IBF) Ryoichi Taguchi.

“It was a very good fight, and the people were entertained. Milan had a good showing but he lost in the last four rounds, which were very important,” Melindo’s trainer Edito Villamor told Superbalita.

Villamor said there is no rematch clause but he’s confident that a rematch isn’t farfetched.

“If there is a rematch, it will be good for Japan boxing and the whole world because Milan is already a named fighter. I’m hoping that Taguchi’s camp will offer a rematch,” said Villamor.

Taguchi beat Melindo last Sunday night, before the turn of the year, by unanimous decision at the Ota City Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan.

Possibilities

Villamor, just like ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer, believes that Melindo will bounce back from this loss.

“Milan is a world-class fighter, he’s a named fighter. I’m sure that the ALA management won’t have a have a hard time giving Milan another big fight,” he said.

Another option for Melindo is a rematch with Japanese star Akira Yaegashi, whom he shockingly knocked out in the first round to win the IBF light flyweight crown in May.

“A rematch with Milan and Yaegashi for a title eliminator or regional belt may be a possibility,” said Villamor. (EKA With ESL)

Published in the SunStar Cebu newspaper on January 04, 2018.

Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments