Vice Mayor accuses DepEd of deviating from original plan for Palarong Pambansa training-A A +A
Thursday, February 3, 2011
“I AM disappointed. I am angry.”
These were the strong words of Cebu City Vice Mayor Augustus Joy Young after accusing the Department of Education (DepEd) of derailing their game plan for the Palarong Pambansa.
“I am very much disappointed. We had targeted to improve the region’s finish in the Palarong Pambansa but the DepEd has decided to choose another path and this is throwing the plan off,” said Young.
“Whatever their plans we deserve to be informed because the bulk of the athletes comes from Cebu City and we are the biggest contributor for the region,” said Young.
Two years ago, Young pushed for the regional meet, the Central Visayas Regional Athletic Association, to be held earlier so the preparation for the national games will be longer. The Cviraa was held November of last year instead of the usual February schedule.
The Palarong Pambansa is usually held in April.
However, instead of proceeding directly to training as what was expected, DepED instead decided to have a pool of players and hold another selection. It was supposedly scheduled last weekend and will end this weekend.
“It defeats the purpose of holding the regional meet earlier. Mao ra gihapon mura ra
ta nag Cviraa og February because until now, we do not have the final list of athletes and it’s already February,” said Young.
Young said he has been trying to contact Department of Education Recaredo Borgonia but he was never given any update as to where the preparations are.
Sun.Star Cebu also tried calling Borgonia but the calls were not answered.
Last year, Cebu City spent about P1 million for the Palarong Pambansa and Young said they could have increased the budget this year.
“We have been offering to help but they never included us. I am no longer inclined to help anymore,” said Young.
What was the last straw for Young was when archers from Dumaguete came to Cebu last week, thinking the selection was to be held last weekend.
However, the Cebuano archers also left on the same day, thinking the selection for archery will be held in Silliman.
“Aside from the kids spending P11,000 for their trip, what was worse was they had to skip class because of it. For us that is a big no-no. Sports is only secondary to academics. That is non-negotiable,” said Young.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 03, 2011.