Dole, McDonald's partner anew for Spes implementation-A A +A
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
AS IT continues to provide opportunity for working students, the McDonald's has forged a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) in Davao Region for the implementation of government's Special Program for Employment of Students (Spes).
In a press conference held at the Dole regional office on Dacudao st. in Davao City, officials of Dole and the Golden Arches Development Corp. (GADC), who operates McDonald's in the country, vowed to continue giving working opportunity for college students who want to pursue their education and earn their own money at the same time.
Lawyer Joffrey Suyao, Dole-Davao chief, said the partnership is an opportunity not only for McDonald's to hire highly competent manpower but also for Dole to address the unemployment problem among the youth.
For this year, McDonald's has pledge to hire 136 student-employees under Spes, wherein the company will shoulder the 60 percent of the workers' salary while the remaining 40 percent will be shouldered by Dole.
Each Spes beneficiary who will be employed either in private company or in government office will be paid P301 daily minimum pay.
"It is a great opportunity for us to continuously reach to the underprivileged students and help them continue their studies," Suyao said.
Rebecca Roselda, GADC human resource director, who was also present during the same conference, said the partnership is part of their commitment to provide employment to students by partnering with the government.
Roselda said all Spes beneficiaries are entitled to all the same benefits and treatment that their employees are enjoying.
For this year, working students under Spes will be provided with free complete set of uniform needed while in duty.
In 2012, of the 102 crew members of McDonald's who were Spes beneficiaries, 26 have been absorbed by the company and are given regular job.
McDonald's is among the 35 private companies that partnered with the government in hiring students and OSY for the same program.
Aside from the students, out-of-school-youths are also welcomed to apply for the same program, provided that they can present valid proof of education background.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on February 20, 2013.