30,000 tourists to join ‘Araw’ celeb this week-A A +A
Monday, March 11, 2013
SOME 30,000 foreign and local tourists are expected in Davao City this week to join in the celebration of the 76th Araw ng Dabaw, highlighted by the Parada Dabawenyo on March 16.
Davao City Investment Promotions Center (DCIPC) chief Jason Magnaye said Dabawenyos can expect more visitors, given that many of the celebration's major events are scheduled this week.
In a report, a total of 335 contingents will participate in Parada Dabawenyo, the biggest so far, surpassing last year's record high of 284 group participants.
Other major events taking place this week are "Sayaw Pinoy" Elementary/High School and Adult categories on March 13 and 14, respectively. "Kanta Dabaw and Laban Labands Finals" will also happen on March 14.
Another major event, "Sayawan sa Da'an Competition," will be held on March 15.
The carousel will begin at 7 a.m. along Roxas Avenue, then turn left to C.M. Recto Avenue, turn right to Bonifacio St. then turn right to Bonifacio St., turn left to Pelayo St., and then turn left to San Pedro St.
As of Monday, Orly Escarilla, Araw ng Dabaw spokesperson, said he cannot divulge the number of contingents and prizes for the street dance yet as organizers are still finalizing everything about the competition.
Still on March 15, the Datu Bago Awards Night and Lankuban: Musika sa Dabawenyo Concert will take place.
For domestic and foreign tourists, Davao City now has at least 6,000 accommodation rooms where they can stay for the entire week, according to Magnaye.
He said the number of hotels rooms has increased with the soft opening of Park Inn By Radisson Davao last month with a total of 204 rooms.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 12, 2013.