P39-B Davao reclamation project inked | SunStar

P39-B Davao reclamation project inked

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

P39-B Davao reclamation project inked

Monday, June 20, 2016

THE Joint Venture Agreement (JVA) for the P39-billion Davao Coastline and Port Development Project covering coastal areas in Davao City is scheduled to be inked today by outgoing Davao City Mayor and President-elect Rodrigo Duterte at the SMX Convention Center, SM Lanang Premier.

Davao City Investment Promotions Center (DCIPC) officer-in-charge (OIC) Ivan Cortez said that Duterte will sign in behalf of the city government to fully realize the project.

The project is proposed by the Mega Harbour Port Development Corp.
“After the signing, the next step is to process the permits and approval of government agencies starting with Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA), National Evonomic Development Authority (Neda) and Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR),” Cortez said.

He added that a briefing will be conducted right after the signing of the JVA.

The signing has been delayed as Duterte was busy with his campaign and now with thousands of visitors.

The signing of JVA between Mega Harbour Port Development Corporation and the City Government of Davao was originally set last April 25.

The project was approved by the city council last April 12.

Davao City Councilor Danilo Dayanghirang earlier said that once the JVA is signed, it will be submitted to Philippine Reclamation Authority (PRA)-Central Office for further assessment and will then pass through the National Economic and Development Authority.

Cortez reaffirmed that PRA will “initiate another Swiss challenge, a government bidding process that allows third parties to propose better offers. Since, this is a reclamation project for mixed-used development, national level has to come and it will be expected that another Swiss Challenge will be open,” Cortez said.

Under the Executive Order 146, the National Economic and Development Authority Board is mandated to approve reclamation projects.

The PRA, for its part, will process, evaluate and recommend the approval of the proposals to the board.

Dayanghirang is expecting the approval of the project to take a year. But he is confident that the project will improve the economic and industrial landscape not just the areas reclaimed but also the whole city.

Under the project plan, it will stretch from Bucana shores to R. Castillo, Davao City.

The project will have a port operation and industrial, commercial, and government centers. It will include the establishment of mixed-use development of port operation and industrial, commercial, tenement housings and government centers.

The original construction target date was set on March this year, the project is targeted to be finished by 2019.

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on June 21, 2016.

Latest issues of SunStar Davao also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments