17 facts about Sun.Star Davao-A A +A
Saturday, September 8, 2012
IT'S September 7 again. Just like other September 7s of the past 17 years, today is one of the most important dates for Sun.Star Davao as the company is celebrating its anniversary.
This year, as the number one local newspaper in Davao City, Sun.Star Davao wishes to enumerate 17 facts people need to know about the paper. These facts are backed by verifiable data.
Did you know that:
1. Sun.Star Davao (Ang Peryodiko Dabaw then) was the first in desktop publishing. In the mid-1987, when other local newspapers were still using Minerva printing machines, Sun.Star Davao's progenitor Ang Peryodiko Dabaw shifted to computer desktop publishing using Wordstar as word processor and Aldus Pagemaker for Mac as desktop publishing program.
2. Before most of the major national dailies explored the Internet, Sun.Star Davao went online using the city's first internet service provider on February 1, 1997.
3. Sun.Star Davao is the region's most-awarded community paper with awards totaling to more or less 65 major awards given by prestigious award-giving body in the country, abroad, educational institutions, private groups, and religious sector, among others.
4. Just a few months ago, Sun.Star Davao and its affiliates from other cities swept all the six awards conferred by the Philippine Press Institute (PPI) Civic Journalism Press Awards given for daily community papers across the country. Sun.Star Davao got the three awards for business and economic report, photojournalism and editorial.
5. Sun.Star Davao with its 11 affiliates in other key cities across the country is the only community newspaper operating nationwide reaching audience from all corners of the country and to the world.
6. Sun.Star Davao has a total of 72 employees working from daylight to dawn just to deliver the freshest news and information at your doorstep and office desk early morning. A large chunk of these employees are from the editorial department, with 25 employees comprising of layout artists, photographers, reporters, editors and the editor-in-chief.
7. Sun.Star Davao is the only local newspaper across the region and across the country (except for its affiliates in other key cities in the country) that has both English and vernacular publication (Sun.Star SuperBalita).
8. Based on the Effective Measure report as of March, Sun.Star Davao's main website at www.sunstar.com.ph at no. 68 ranked higher than Yugatech.com, Friendster.com, Philboxing.com, Manilastandardtoday.com, Abante.com.ph, Journal.com.ph, Bworldonline.com, and Malaya.com.ph. The number 1 website was Facebook.com.
9. In the portals category for March 2012, Sun.Star came at number 7 after news websites Abs-cbnnews.com (no. 2), Inquirer.net (no. 3), Philstar.com (no. 4) and GMAnetwork.com (no. 5).
10. Sun.Star Davao, with its affiliate Sun.Star Network Exchange (Sunnex) and the Smart Communications, was the first news agency in Davao City that brought the Araw ng Dabaw 2011 to the world through live streaming.
11. Unlike other community newspaper in Davao City and other areas across the country, Sun.Star Davao's main website is not being maintained by a third-party Web solutions firm. Sunnex, a department of the Sun.Star Publishing Inc. with headquarters in Cebu City, Philippines, is the one maintaining the city's number one newspaper's website.
12. Sun.Star Davao is the only local newspaper in Davao Region with blind item section that features latest and hottest gossips and chikas involving prominent personalities in the region from various reliable sources. This section is one of the most favorite columns in Sun.star Davao.
13. Based on the most recent survey conducted by Sun.Star Davao, 68 percent of its readers are males and the remaining 32 percent are females.
14. Sun.Star Davao is set to launch the first ever true-blooded e-paper in Mindanao from a community paper. Watch out for it.
15. Sun.Star Davao allocates a single room solely intended for archived news dated way back from 1990s.
16. A copy of Sun.Star Davao's newspaper is being circulated as far as Surigao del Sur. At least 50 percent of Sun.Star Davao along with its sister publication Sun.Star SuperBalita's newspapers are circulated in Davao City.
17. Sun.Star Davao has bigger share of the advertising market among regional and local papers.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on September 09, 2012.