Mutya coronation live at Sun.Star website-A A +A
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
DAVAO CITY -- Five Dabawenyas outwit each other in the final judging of the Mutya ng Dabaw 2012 Wednesday night at Davao City Recreation Center (formerly Almendras Gym).
For the first time in the history of Araw ng Dabaw, Dabawenyos, wherever they are, can witness the Mutya coronation night in real time through a live video streaming that will be made available at www.sunstar.com.ph.
It can also be viewed at Sun.Star Davao's microsite at specials.sunstar.com.ph/arawngdabaw.
Dabawenyos around the globe, who have never been home for years and have missed their hometown, can now witness highlights of Araw celebration, like the coronation of Mutya ng Dabaw, as it happens.
The live video streaming is powered by Smart, through its latest and most advanced fourth generation technology, the Long Term Evolution (LTE).
Smart is deploying LTE in the city for the first time and has granted Sun.Star to utilize the technology.
Jess Rubino, supervisor for Smart's Network and Platform Application, said the Sun.Star website at www.sunstar.com.ph has been provided with capable Internet speed of up to 150 mbps for "super-fast uploading of high resolution photos and high definition videos."
The live streaming can also be viewed on all types of mobile devices, such as smartphones and tablets, running on Android and Apple operating system.
Vying for the title are:
* Maria Theresa Tan of Ulas, an AB Communication Arts graduate from the University of Immaculate Conception where she was also a scholar. This 22-year-old beauty is currently a Guest Relation Agent at Marco Polo Hotel.
* Marianne Mae Te of Toril, a 21-year-old print model and an AB Hotel and Restaurant Management graduate of Philippine Women's College of Davao.
* Jazzel Therese Gomez, 23, of Matina Pangi is a magna cum laude graduate of Bachelor of Arts Major in English Language from Far Eastern University. She is currently taking Law studies at the Ateneo de Davao University.
* Dorothy Maruel Ibanez of Lanang is a 23-year-old registered Nurse, currently employed as a Health Consultant of the US-based Health Central Training Center.
* Jhoanna Myles Te, 21, of Bajada, is a Bachelor of Science in Nursing cum laude graduate from San Pedro College. Her college years were highlighted by a Best in Psychiatric Nursing award.
The Coronation Night will be hosted by Kapuso primetime dramatic leading man and 37th Metro Manila Film Festival Best Actor Dingdong Dantes, along with Kapuso TV host Isabelle Daza, former beauty queens Anna Maris Igpit (the country's representative to Miss World 2006) and Resci Rizada (Mutya Ng Dabaw 2009).
Serving as one of the judges is Miss World 2011 first runner-up Gwendolyn Ruais.
Controversial lawyer in the prosecution panel of the impeachment of Chief Justice Renato Corona, Vitaliano N. Aguirre, will also be one of the pageant's judges.
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said she personally handpicked the judges for the final pageant of this year's Mutya ng Dabaw, including Aguirre.
Aguirre hogged the headlines recently after he was caught on camera covering his ears while Senator-judge Miriam Defensor-Santiago was castigating the prosecutors.
Aside from Aguirre, the other judges for the final night of Mutya ng Dabaw 2012 are Brigadier General Benito Antonio T. De Leon of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Chef Niño Laos and Philippine Women's College Fine Art program director Brenda Z. Barba.
Meanwhile, Sun.Star will also live stream three other Araw ng Dabaw events - Sayawan sa Dan contest on March 15 at 2 p.m, Datu Bago awards night on March 15 at 7 p.m . and the Parada Dabawenyo on March 16 at 7 a.m.
The Sayawan sa Dan is a competition of contemporary street dancing and merriment in celebration of the Dabawenyos positive spirit and oneness.(Sun.Star Davao)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 14, 2012.