Police: City peaceful despite anti-Sona rally-A A +A
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
THE rallies set up by militant and cause-oriented groups to show their protest against President Benigno Aquino III’s policies and priorities did not in any way disrupt law and order in Davao City, the city police reported.
Senior Superintendent Ronald M. Dela Rosa, Davao City Police Office (DCPO) director, said no untoward incident was reported before and after the State of the Nation Address (Sona) of the President.
He added that DCPO did not deploy the full force of its personnel since they are confident that the protesters are responsible enough to police their own ranks in delivering their protests.
“Wala naman masyadong dapat ipangamba with the protesters here. So far, there were no reports na gumawa sila ng harassment or threat sa public habang gingawa nila yung rally nila. Let them air their grievances as long as wala silang maargabyado," Dela Rosa said.
Dela Rosa added that they focus more on hunting down the criminals as these are the ones who create trouble and sow fear in the city.
DCPO however placed the city under heightened alert status following the order of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director Nicanor Bartolome.
Superintendent Marcial M. Magistrado, spokesperson for the Police Regional Office, said the directive went out to entire police commanders to secure their camps and offices, vital installations, economic key points and public places.
Magistrado said aside from the random checkpoints, DCPO and other provincial police offices deployed personnel to conduct mobile and foot patrols, and keep police visibility to thwart major incidents and ensure the peace and order in Davao Region.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on July 24, 2012.