Demolition in Soliman finally pushed through-A A +A
Thursday, July 26, 2012
CONTROVERSY over a highly-contested property in Soliman village in Agdao, Davao City is over as demolition of houses that were illegally constructed in the area were finally demolished Thursday.
"Nahimong peaceful and orderly ang demolition karon kompara atong niaging tuig tungod sa pre-demolition conference nga gipahigayon namo (Yesterday's demolition was peaceful and orderly compared to last year due to the pre-demolition conference we conducted)," village chief Fulgencio Pavo said in an interview.
Some 270 families voluntarily dismantled their houses and finally gave in to the demolition team, which was composed of two teams -- the pink and red. The demolition started around 9 a.m. on Thursday at the property owned by Davao Enterprise Corporation (Davencor).
The demolition took effect by virtue of the second Alias Writ of Demolition issued by Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 16 Presiding Judge Emmanuel Carpio in March this year.
Court Sheriff Teresita Ceballos, of the Regional Trial Court-Office of the Clerk of Court (RTC-OCC) told reporters there's no way that the implementation of the second writ, which is separate from the previous Writ of Demolition issued last year over the same property, should be deferred since it has already been long overdue.
"Basta kami, sa implementation lang mi, ug dugay na ni nga order dapat ma serve (We are just here to implement the order that should have been served long before)," Ceballos said.
"Wala nay niduol para magpatabang kay ang order sa korte mura na ug order sa presidente, walay makapugong (No one had come for help because a court order is like a president's order. No one and nothing can stop," Pavo, for his part, said.
Two demolition teams were deployed in the area Thursday. The team was composed of men wearing pink shirt, who took charge in the demolition at Purok 2, while those wearing red shirt were the ones who demolished houses at Purok 3.
Ceballos, who replaced sheriff Abe Andres in handling the Soliman case, said there was a long period of extension given to the residents to vacate the area after the final notice to vacate was issued last March.
"Para mkapangandam para karon adlawa (So they can prepare for today's demolition), she said.
Personnel of Sta. Ana Police Anti-Crime Unit, led by Senior Inspector Ronald Lao, chief of Sta. Ana police, were also deployed on Thursday to secure the area.
Lao said the demolition in the area was "peaceful."
Councilman Edgardo Robledo, one of the affected residents, said many of them thought that the demolition will no longer be implemented while the case was still pending before the court.
However, he said they have nothing else to do but to follow the court order as this had already undergone a long process.
On July 1 last year, a riot broke out when the residents in the area resisted the demolition team and did not honor the first Writ of Demolition issued by Carpio.
Ceballos said that of the 270 families covered by the demolition order, only 74 families are qualified for a free relocation site, but only 52 of whom chose to be relocated.
The Alias Writ of Demolition covers a total land area of more than 6,000 square meters.
Ceballos said the delay in the implementation of the new writ was due to the questions raised by the residents questioning the 30-day reglamentary period of the writ.
But Ceballos said she did not hesitate upon knowing that the same case will be assigned to her knowing the background of the case.
To recall, Andres has been detailed to Supreme Court when he was punched by Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio when he did not grant the mayor's request for a two hour reprieve on July 1, 2011.
"Kaya man nako ni nga trabaho, dali lang man ni among trabaho kung ang mga tao makig cooperate lang pud sa amoa (Actually, our job is not that hard especially when the public will just cooperate on us)," Ceballos said.
At present, the position for court sheriff at the RTC Branch 16 is yet to be filled in.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on July 27, 2012.