Remaining settlers await P50,000 cash aid-A A +A
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
RESIDENTS, who occupied a road-right of way in Soliman, Agdao, said they will not leave the area unless they receive the financial support promised by the landowner.
In a radio report, residents said a representative of the landowner, the Davao Enterprise Corp. (Davencor), met with them and assured them that each family will be given P50,000 in assistance for leaving the area.
But residents claimed they have yet to receive the promised assistance.
Meanwhile, houses of the residents at Block 1 and 2 were already demolished last month following a court order.
In a decision released by the Regional Trial Court (RTC) on August 5, RTC Branch 16 Judge Emmanuel Carpio affirmed with modification the decision dated October 5, 2010 of Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) Branch 6 directing the defendants, who were residing and encroaching on the landowner's property, to pay Davao Enterprise Corporation (Davencor).
The decision ordered the residents to pay "P5,000 each as monthly rental for the reasonable use and enjoyment of the subject premises to be computed from December 12, 2006 up to the time the defendants shall have actually vacated the premises; P10,000 for each defendants as attorney's fees; and P3,000 for each defendants as litigations and cost of suit."
Each defendant is required to pay P353,000, P340,000 for the 68 months of monthly rental from December 2006 to July last year, plus the P10,000 attorney's fees and P3,000 cost of suit.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 22, 2012.