Duterte: I'm not qualified to head DILG-A A +A
Saturday, August 25, 2012
DAVAO CITY -- Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte downplays reports that he is on the shortlist of candidates to replace the late Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo.
Robredo unfortunately perished in a plane accident last week. Two of the pilots were also killed while Robredo’s security aid survived.
In an interview after Friday's mass wedding at Plaza 9 gymnasium in NHA Subdivision, Ma-a, Duterte said he is not qualified for the position thet Robredo left. "This is my personal assessment," he said.
Together with Duterte in the shortlist is Sarangani Governor Miguel Rene Dominguez who is a member of the Liberal Party.
Duterte admitted that he also declined an offer by President Benigno Aquino III even before the late Robredo took the helm of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) post two years ago.
Even during the time of former Presidents Fidel V. Ramos and Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, the DILG post has been offered to Duterte.
DILG'S functions range from supervision over local units, forest conservation, public instructions, control and supervision over the police, counterinsurgency, rehabilitation, community development and cooperative development programs.
Reports said in the shortlist are Vice President Jejomar Binay, Senator Panfilo Lacson, former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority chairman Bayani Fernando, two Luzon governors and one Manila mayor.
Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office Secretary Ramon Carandang, however, refused anew to discuss the possible replacement for Robredo in DILG.
"It's not the right time. Hindi muna ako magko-comment dyan. Hintayin muna nating matapos itong prosesong ito (I won't comment on that. Let's wait for this process to finish). And then we can start talking about things like that," he said. (Sun.Star Davao/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 26, 2012.