Only 9, not 95, malaria cases in Davao Sur town-A A +A
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
DAVAO DEL SUR - Health officials in Jose Abad Santos clarified on Tuesday that only nine cases of malaria have so far been recorded in the same town.
The provincial health office reported on August 27 that a total of 95 residents in the area have been afflicted with malaria.
The number is based on the information released by Riza Dacalos, Malaria and Dengue Control Coordinator of the Provincial Health Office of Davao del Sur.
Dacalos added that most of the victims were residents of Barangay Meybio.
"The information given to you by the provincial malaria coordinator was incorrect and was not validated. She also did not confer with us about her press release," Dr. Amparo Lachica, municipal health officer of Jose
Abad Santos, said in a letter sent to Sun.Star SuperBalita.
Based on earlier reports published by Sun.Star SuperBalita, a total of 95 residents have tested positive with malaria and 178 more have been treated at the Thomas Lachica District Hospital.
"To correct the information about the malaria news, the Rural Health Unit of Jose Abad Santos with the approval of our Municipal Mayor James Joyce, is notifying you that the total number of malaria cases in barangay Meybio is only nine," Lachica said in her letter.
The nine cases of malaria were found out of the 1,051 blood samples examined by the doctors. (Alger P. Dura)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on September 05, 2012.