Mall opening jams Lanang-A A +A
Friday, September 28, 2012
MOTORISTS and commuters got stuck in heavy traffic along J.P. Laurel Avenue on Friday as the new SM Lanang Premier opened to the public.
Retired Colonel Desiderio Cloribel, said the traffic congestion could have been minimized had the old barangay hall of Ubalde in Agdao been demolished earlier. As of now, the old building stands right in the middle of the exit road to R. Castillo Street.
Mall goers who went to the mall’s grand opening had to endure the extended travel time going to the mall. As of noon Friday, the bumper-to-bumper traffic situation was still as far north as the junction of R. Castillo Street in Lanang and southward from SSS Building in Bajada.
But Cloribel said that as of noon Friday, the traffic was only moderate to light-heavy.
“Had the R. Castillo opened as we suggested, traffic could have been moderate,” Cloribel said.
Cloribel said the Barangay Council of Ubalde is yet to act on the relocation.
Last week, the Davao City Council passed under suspended rules a resolution opening an access exit road from SM Lanang Premier to R. Castillo Street.
Since the barangay hall of Ubalde is located on the proposed access road that connects to Bougainvillea Street at the back of SM Lanang, to R. Castillo Street, the SM management earlier promised to construct a new two-storey barangay hall, which it did.
But the 25-year-old structure has not yet been demolished in time for the opening.
Effort to get the comment of Ubalde village chief Glicerio Leonor proved futile as their contact number is no longer active. (JOP)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on September 29, 2012.