‘Food poisoning’ downs 100 fun run participants in Cotabato-A A +A
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
KIDAPAWAN CITY -- At least 100 fun run participants from Makilala town in North Cotabato were hospitalized after they ate "pastel," a rice toppings with boiled egg and shredded chicken adobo.
Two of the victims were department heads of the local government unit (LGU) in Makilala identified as Jimmy Casimiro, head of the Human Resource Management Office, and Rebecca Ajero, head of the Interior and Local Government office.
The victims were participants of a fun run, one of the highlights of the 2nd Sinabadan Festival in line with the town’s 58th foundation anniversary. The Sinabadan is a Manuvu term, which means “thanksgiving.”
Makilala Mayor Rudy Caoagdan said a big restaurant operating in Kidapawan City prepared at least 5,000 pastels for the fun run participants.
The pastel was distributed to the participants around 11 a.m. Tuesday. An hour later, some of those who ate the pastel started to vomit and felt abdominal pains.
At least 25 victims were rushed to the Kidapawan Medical Specialist Center Inc.; 27 at the Makilala Medical Hospital; 12 at the Kidapawan Doctors Hospital Inc.; and one at Midway Hospital.
Caoagdan said the LGU will shoulder the hospital bills of the victims of food poisoning.
Lina Canedo, head of the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office (MSWDO), said the town mayor has already ordered a thorough investigation on the case.
Of the 100 victims, at least 65 are still recuperating in four hospitals in Kidapawan City and Makilala, MSWDO said.
All of them suffered loose bowel movement, nausea, severe headaches, and abdominal pains -- indications of food poisoning, a doctor said. (Sun.Star Davao/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 11, 2012.