Random checkpoints vs bomb threats intensified-A A +A
Monday, October 15, 2012
THE authorities in Davao City beefed up security measures following the bombing incident in Cagayan de Oro City last Thursday and the bomb threat in Catalunan Grande on Sunday.
Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Director Ronald Dela Rosa said he issued a directive to all 12 police station commanders to conduct a random checkpoint and maximize police visibility in their areas of responsibility on Friday.
Dela Rosa said they have also deployed around 1,000 personnel to ensure peace and order and conduct foot and mobile patrol around the city.
He said their Mobile Patrol Group (MPG) will be augmented by the Regional Mobile Group (RMG) personnel.
"Actually, ginatan-aw pa nato kung asa gikan 'tong speaker nga nakita nato sa Marco Polo and those threat letters sa Bangoy National High School (We’re still finding out where the speaker in Marco Polo came from and who made those threat letters found at the Bangoy National High School)," Dela Rosa said, adding the authorities has no suspect yet for both incidents.
Given that the region is still on red alert status since their Annual General Inspection last month, Jose Carumba, chief of Police Regional Office's Police Community Relation Division (PRO-PCRD), also assured that police and military will continue to provide security in all areas of responsibility.
Task Force Davao (TFD) Colonel Marcos Norman Flores said they have decided to place Davao City under a full alert status, which means their troops are in high alert to thwart any untoward incidents.
He said though they have not yet monitored the presence of terror groups in the city, their troops and the city's Anti Crime Unit and DCPO are ready to protect the public.
“We urge everyone to stay alert. If you notice any suspicious persons or behavior, coordinate with authorities immediately. We need not fear. We will arrest those responsible for sowing fear in the city,” Dela Rosa said in vernacular.
On Thursday, security personnel of the Marco Polo Hotel and the police were alarmed after a box that contained stereo speakers was found along Roxas Avenue. The package was thought to contain a bomb after bomb-sniffing canines lay beside it.
On Friday, the F. Bangoy National High School (FBNHS) suspended its morning classes after students found two letters warning them of bomb explosion by 9:30 a.m.
On Sunday, a sack with wires sticking out was found around 6:30 a.m. in Barangay Catalunan Grande, Talomo district.
Residents were alarmed after spotting the sack, which also has note that reads: "Ibigay ang hiling Vice Mayor Duterte. Bangon Pilipinas."
The object was found by Rosendo Quinones, 50, a resident of Block 9, Lot 2, South Villa Subdivision, Barangay Catalunan Grande.
Quinones said she was throwing her garbage in front of their house when she saw the red sack.
Members of the Talomo Police Station and the DCPO Technical Support Platoon found that the sack contained a box marked Cherry Mobile, wires attached to a concrete slab, circuit board and a note addressed to the vice mayor. The package is now in the custody of the police.
Authorities believe that there are groups who are out to instill fear and disrupt the peace and order of the city. (Ivy C. Tejano/Alger Dura)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 15, 2012.