Police: Security will remain tight in city-A A +A
Friday, November 2, 2012
THE Davao City Police Office (DCPO) will sustain its extensive security measures during the observance of the All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day which started Thursday.
DCPO chief Senior Superintendent Ronald M. dela Rosa said even though the first day of Undas seemed to be generally peaceful as there were no untoward incidents, security measures will remain tight to ensure public safety and order in the city.
Dela Rosa said police assistance desks have been placed in every cemetery to entertain the concerns of people visiting their dearly departed.
He said that as f 11:30 a.m. Thursday, their personnel confiscated some prohibited materials like knives, bolos, and cigarettes.
The items were confiscated at Davao Memorial Park, Wireless Cemetery, and Buhangin Memorial Park, according to Dela Rosa.
"Daghan na pud ta na confiscate na ginabawal sa lain-laing sementeryo. So, hangyo lang nako didto sa mga muadto sa sementeryo na dili magdala ug bladed weapons, cassettes, cigarettes, and even firearms. Hinaut unta na ipakita ninyo na ang Dabawenyo disiplinado," dela Rosa said.
Superintendent Johnson Almazan, DCPO's Investigation and Detection Management Branch (IDMB) chief, said their office is still waiting for further reports of the 12 police stations here and could not yet release any data or make evaluation as of the moment.
So far, Dela Rosa said he is thankful that there were no threats monitored in the city. Petty crimes such as pick pocketing, theft and robbery occurred in some areas of the city, though.
Dela Rosa said their police visibility operations, foot and mobile patrols and random checkpoints along with the Task Force Davao and other government agencies in various areas of convergence are still ongoing.
Senior Superintendent Gregorio Pimentel, chief of the Highway Patrol Group (HPG) 11, said in line with the Undas, he already instructed his personnel to place road assistance centers in all entry points of Davao Region.
Pimentel said this is in line with the order of Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Director General Nicanor Bartolome to set up road assistance centers and deploy route safety marshals in major thoroughfares and strategic areas near cemeteries and other public areas.
Colonel Marcos Norman Flores, commander of the Task Force Davao (TDF), said the authorities' security measures were indeed observed and implemented inside and outside the cemeteries, and this will continue as the public heads back to work and school after the long weekend.
Given that the region is still on red alert status since August, Chief Supt. Jaime H. Morente, chief of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 11, who checked around various areas in Davao Region yesterday, assured that his personnel would continue their efforts in providing security in their areas of responsibility. (ICT)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on November 02, 2012.