Raps vs suspected drug pusher affirmed

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 01:16 a.m.

THE City Prosecutor's Office has affirmed the charges filed against a suspected drug pusher arrested for possession of more than P450,000 worth of illegal drugs in a buy-bust operation along Magallanes St. on August 7.

Prosecutor Oliver Saniel found probable cause to charge Marlon Basiar Domanico for violation of the Republic Act (RA) 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Man charged with rape of daughter

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 01:15 a.m.

A SEXAGENARIAN is facing charges before the Regional Trial Court (RTC) after he allegedly molested his own daughter at their residence in Brgy. 19-B,Davao City on August 10.

Facing charges for violation of the Republic Act 8353 or the Anti-Rape Law of 1997 is alias Ruel, 62 (real identity withheld to protect the dignity of the victim).

Duterte clarifies ISIS statement

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 01:14 a.m.

DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte on Monday retracted his statement that there are young Dabawenyos who were recruited to join the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS).

"I said may nag bulong sa akin, ayaw ko sabihin kung sino, na may mga young Muslim guys na pupunta ng Middle East kasi makipagsapalaran sa gyera. I did not say they will join ISIS. I said takot ako baka mapunta doon because this is an extremist group," Duterte said in an interview on Monday.

hiponcity.com made for city government

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 01:13 a.m.

THE controversy over the "hipon" comment of comedian Ramon Bautista during a big rave party in the city during Kadayawan took a more ridiculous turn as a new website has been put up -- hiponcity.com -- that when you click will direct you to the official Davao City government site.

City Information Technology Center webmaster Jose Barber said they immediately acted on the "illegal activity", and worked on blocking the new site from mirroring the official website.

Community members gather to build water system recovery

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 08:03 p.m.

RESIDENTS of Barangays Sayon, Concepcion, Purok 7 of Poblacion, San Jose and Awao in Sta. Josefa, Agusan del Sur came together to build the Typhoon Pablo Community Water System Recovery project supported by Metrobank Foundation Inc. (MBFI) and World Vision Development Foundation Inc.

Other stakeholders also participated in the project, including the local government of Sta. Josefa and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), which committed to render the technical assistance particularly in the engineering works.

Cash transfer program for IPs in place

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:21 p.m.

FOUR years after the implementation of the conditional cash transfer, Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps), the Department of Social Welfare and Development has finally designed a program for the indigenous peoples.

The Conditional Cash Transfer–Indigenous Peoples (CCT-IP) program will be targeting a total of 116,000 IP households for its first national implementation.

Few companies paid Kadayawan fees

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:20 p.m.

THE Kadayawan Foundation, the city's private-partner for the Kadayawan festival, is yet to collect fees from groups and companies that listed their activities under the accredited events during the celebration.

Lawyer Rollie Dumalag, Kadayawan Foundation chair, said the Kadayawan activities were successful even though they still have to collect fees.

Families get new GK houses

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:19 p.m.

AT LEAST 30 families from Our Lady of Victory Training Center for people with disabilities and those who had been affected by court demolition orders, fire incidents, and Typhoon Yolanda from the Visayas are beneficiaries of a housing project in Barangay Los Amigos, Tugbok District in Davao City.

The turnover of the 30 newly built houses was spearheaded by Gawad Kalinga Davao head Arthuro Milan, Davao Light & Power Company, Berjaya Group Philippines country head Paul Soo, Friendster chief-executive-officer Iannis Hanen and Davao City Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte.

Partylist rep to talk to Roxas on Danao video

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:18 p.m.

GABRIELA Partylist Representative Luzviminda Ilagan is set to talk to Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Mar Roxas on the recent controversial video of Davao City Police chief Sr. Supt. Vicente Danao Jr.

Danao was caught on video quarrelling with a woman inside a house. The video, which lasted 1:18, appears to be a domestic quarrel, but considering the position of the involved officer, the video is inscribed with public interest.

Police hunt suspects in teenager's slay

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:17 p.m.

POLICE are hunting down the killers of a 16-year-old boy in a shooting incident along R. Castillo Street in Barangay Agdao, Davao City on Monday.

The slain victim was identified as Jaime Rafaeles Martinez, a 16-year-old out-of-school-youth from Fortune Street, Agdao.

2 face robbery, extortion raps

Monday, August 25, 2014 - 10:16 p.m.

CHARGES were filed before the City Prosecution Office against two men arrested for extorting a woman at Km. 12, Sasa, Davao City on August 21.

Facing robbery extortion charges are Raul Morata, 41, and Joel Poyaoan, 38, both residents of Purok 5, Panacan Relocation.

Cabbie rewarded for honesty

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:55 p.m.

AN HONEST taxi driver, who returned P54,000 cash left by a passenger inside his cab, received P30,000 cash reward from Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday (August 24).

Duterte hailed Laurence Ygonia, a native of Cebu, who endorsed to ABS-CBN Davao a bag containing the money.

Duterte: City businesses need more guards, CCTVs

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:55 p.m.

DAVAO City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said hiring more security personnel and installing closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras deter crimes better.

"Kining CCTV almost yield to nothing bisag sa mall na dako. This is no longer crime prevention. Mura na siya'g crime review kay kuhaon ra man sa CCTV unsay nahitabo didto (CCTV yields almost nothing even in big malls. This is no longer crime prevention. It's like crime review since the CCTV can only show what already happened)," Duterte said during Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa on Sunday.

Man shot dead while trying to break up fight

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:54 p.m.

A SECURITY guard died upon arriving in the hospital after being shot while trying to break up a fight at 10:20 p.m. Saturday in Purok Talisay, Coog, Barangay Mandug, Buhangin District.

The victim was identified as Benjamin Danton Paquibol, 36, single, security guard of Balun Elementary School and a resident of the area.

Duterte confirms: ISIS recruits some Dabawenyos

Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:28 p.m.

DAVAO CITY -- Mayor Rodrigo Duterte confirmed Sunday that some young Dabawenyos have been recruited to join the ISIS, which refers to itself as the Islamic State and is formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.

Arrest of IP leader hit

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:32 p.m.

A TRIBAL group based in Mindanao hit the Aquino administration on Friday for the arrest on Friday of a Manobo tribal leader, who is facing three counts of frustrated murder, in Surigao City.

Indigenous People's (IP) alliance Kalumaran said Genasque Enriquez was about to leave after a press conference on their campaign against pork barrel, when members of the Surigao City Police Office, Army's 30th Infantry Division, and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) arrived to arrest him.

Man shot dead in Tugbok District

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:31 p.m.

A 27-YEAR-OLD man was shot dead by an unidentified gunman at sitio Kawayan in Barangay Manambulan, Tugbok District in Davao City on Friday evening.

Police identified the victim as Leonard Bansag Paguirigan, alias Enad, 27, a motorcycle driver, resident of the same place.

Davao City bizman hacked

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:30 p.m.

A 40-YEAR-OLD businessman was hacked along the road of Purok 3, Mahayag, Davao City at 9:45 p.m. on Thursday, August 21.

The victim was identified as Almer Lamudoc Mejias, married and a resident of the said area.

Official optimistic in pushing for Mindanao road corridor

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:30 p.m.

AN OFFICIAL from the Foreign Chamber of Commerce said they are courageous in pushing for the Southern Mindanao Road Corridor, because they know that there will be a surplus of power in 2016.

Japanese national faces raps vs trafficking

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:29 p.m.

A 65-YEAR-OLD Japanese national is facing charges before the Davao City Prosecution Office after he was arrested inside a hotel on Magallanes street last August 19 as he allegedly offered cash and gadgets to minors in exchange for sex.

Man pleads not guilty to arson

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:29 p.m.

THE suspect accused of trying to burn down the house of a former Davao City councilor pleaded not guilty during his arraignment before the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 16 Friday.

4 teens sued for robbery, violence

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:28 p.m.

CHARGES were filed before the City Prosecution Office against four teenagers arrested in an armed robbery along Magallanes Street in Davao City on August 19.

Facing robbery with violence and intimidation are Jonalyn Tormis, 19; Jessa Aspren, 18; Mikaela Atuel, 18 and John Mark Aspiren, 18, all residents of Lubogan, Toril.

Ecoland road rage

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 05:34 p.m.

TWO taxi drivers stalled traffic at Ecowest Drive and sent tricycles, jeepneys, and private vehicles fleeing as they drove round and round the four-lane road to hit each other like bump cars at around 5:40 p.m. Thursday, in Barangay 76-A Bucana, just beside the rows of condominiums in Ecoland Subdivision.

Trader found dead

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 05:33 p.m.

A 47-YEAR-OLD businessman was found dead at No. 224 Eagle Street in Ecoland, Davao City.

The victim was identified as Jun Claudio Benedicto Olivia, single, and a resident of the area.

Japanese couple face estafa raps

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 05:33 p.m.

A JAPANESE couple who were charged back in 2004 are facing charges before the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 16 after they allegedly duped four victims to pay the processing fee of documents for an overseas employment which never materialized.

Murder suspect pleads not guilty

Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 05:32 p.m.

THE suspect tagged in the murder of his co-worker in a stabbing incident at a poultry farm in Barangay Angliongto, Buhangin, Davao City entered a not guilty plea during his arraignment before the sala of the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 16 on Friday.

7 deaths due to measles

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 09:43 p.m.

A TOTAL of 1,250 cases of measles with seven deaths have been recorded from January to August 8 this year in Davao City, according to a City Health Office (CHO) report.

The report was shown to Sun.Star Davao by City Health Officer Dr. Josephine Villafuerte during an interview at her office Wednesday afternoon.

ITCZ brings light to moderate rains in Davao

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 09:43 p.m.

DAVAO Region has experienced cloudy skies with light to moderate rains due to the Intertropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) affecting Visayas, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said.

Based on Pagasa's 24-hour public weather forecast issued at 5 a.m. Thursday, the ITCZ was affecting Visayas, thus the island, as well as the regions of Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Bicol and the provinces of Palawan, Mindoro and Davao will experience cloudy skies with light to moderate rainshowers and thunderstorms.

Ordinance on medical waste management urged

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 09:42 p.m.

BARANGAY officials and healthcare facility workers in Davao urged the 17th City Council to craft an ordinance on medical waste management.

Councilor Joselle Villafuerte said results of the survey given during the seminar on waste minimization show that many respondents want a local policy that would govern them further.

Lasang River overflows, displaces 50 families

Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 09:37 p.m.

A HEAVY downpour that lasted for almost an hour on Wednesday night caused Lasang River in Davao City to overflow, displacing 50 families.

Rescuers from Central 911 and police Mobile Patrol Group (MPG) alerted residents living near the river when the rise in the water level was monitored around 8 p.m. Wednesday, triggering knee-deep flooding in low-lying areas.

Marginal Lives

Today's front page

Sun.Star Davao's front page for November 22, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Calamity Report
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam