40 firecracker ban violators sued-A A +A
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
FORTY people were so far charged for violation of the firecracker ban before the Davao City Prosecutor's Office (CPO) on Wednesday afternoon.
Personnel from different police stations in Davao City brought their arrested violators before the CPO around 2 p.m. for an inquest proceeding.
A source, who refused to be named for lack of authority to speak, said the accused were charged for violation of the Davao City Ordinance 060–02 or Firecracker Ban.
Senior Superintendent Ronald M. dela Rosa, DCPO director, said those 40 men charged of the same violation were arrested from December 31 and January 1.
"There are still more to come kay ginaprepare pa sa uban station ang documents na ilang kailanganun for filing of charges against those violators. As of January 1, we had arrested 49 adults; naa pa'y nine ang pasakaan kaso (Nine more will be sued. The police precincts that arrested them are still completing the documents to file charges. We arrested a total of 49)," dela Rosa said.
From December 23 to 25, police arrested 32 firecracker ban violators -- six adults and 26 minors. The six adults were charged before the CPO on December 26.
As of January 1 this year, the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) recorded 138 violators of the ordinance since December 23. Of the 138 violators, 55 were adults and 83 are children ages 18 below.
Dela Rosa also confirmed that some of the violators arrested were selling firecrackers in Toril, Mintal and Bunawan.
Recovered from the possession of the suspects were assorted firecrackers such as piccolo, sparklers and judas belts.
Dela Rosa said the violators bought the firecrackers from Digos City, Panabo City and Tagum City.
Asked for the number of the casualties, Dela Rosa said their office recorded zero firecracker-related injuries.
He said minors arrested for the same violation were already turned over to the Quick Response Team for Children's Concerns, while the adults are now detained to various police stations jail facility.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 03, 2013.