6 in rape raps still at large-A A +A
Thursday, January 3, 2013
SIX men, who remained at large, are now facing charges before the Regional Trial Court (RTC) for rape and harassing a 16-year-old girl in January, last year.
The case was raffled off Thursday.
The accused were identified only as alias Mark, Joseph, Jake and three John Does, all residents of Davao City.
The six accused are charged with violation of Republic Act (RA) 8353 or The Anti-Rape Law in relation to RA 7610, otherwise known as the Violence Against Women and Children.
The victim is only identified as Kara, a hish-school student.
In a subpoena dated February 2, 2012, the accused were directed to submit their counter affidavits, but failed to do so.
Prosecutor Mariam A.V. Mastura-Linsangan found probable cause to charge the six accused based on the affidavit/complaint filed by the victim.
Court records showed that on January 2, around 5 p.m., the complainant went to a department store to buy school supplies when a group of six men approached and asked for her name.
The complainant introduced herself and so the six men. Kara claimed she was about to leave when the accused forced her to go with them to a certain place, which Kara did due to fear.
Kara, in her statement, said they boarded a passenger jeepney going to Sandawa. She said she cannot escape from the suspects because her hands were held tight.
The accused brought the complainant to an elementary school in the area. Three of the accused left for a moment and returned with a bottle of rhum, pitcher, juice and a glass.
Kara said she was forced to join the group in a drinking session until she got drunk and was allegedly raped. She added that she fell asleep, and when she woke up, the suspects were already gone.
Kara said she found herself naked inside a classroom. She claimed she went to her friend for assistance. They reported the incident to a police station.
The complainant submitted her original medico-legal certificate that shows "genital findings definitive of blunt force or penetrating trauma."
The case was filed against the six accused on November 13.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 04, 2013.