Case proceedings vs. Baktin men continues-A A +A
Friday, January 4, 2013
THE case proceedings of the charges filed against the four members of the Baktin carnap group continues this month.
Judge Evalyn Morales, of Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 17, scheduled the preliminary conference in January 25 for the carnapping case against the Gerry Paulino, 30, a resident of NHA Buhangin in Davao City; Eddie Lopez, 19, of Balite in Marilog District in Davao City; Diego Macatimbang, 19, of Sigaboy, Governor Generoso in Davao Oriental; and Hermie Tahom, 36, of San Agustin in Surigao del Sur. They are also scheduled for a pre-trial in February 20.
They are expected to appear anew before the court as their counsels -- Lawyer Heracleo Malaki III and Luwill Tiu Al-ag -- assured their clients will do, she said.
Malaki, counsel of Macatimbang, Tahom, and Lopez, earlier said he can assure that his three clients will be available before the court proceedings especially because they pleaded not guilty during the arraignment.
Al-ag, counsel of Paulino, also said his client will surely attend on the court proceedings scheduled by the RTC Branch 17.
Paulino is the only one among the four accused who didn't post bail as he opted to remain under the custody of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) for security reasons. The four accused were arraigned for violation of the Republic Act (RA) 6539 or “The Anti-Carnapping Act 1972.”
However, Paulino refused to post bail, while his other companions were released from jail in November 7. They posted P180,000 bail.
They pleaded not guilty in November 21.
Davao City chief prosecutor Raul Bendigo said Gerry Paulino, 30, a resident of NHA Buhangin in Davao City, who is believed to be a right-hand man of carnapping leader Ryan "Baktin" Yu, cannot be placed under the witness protection program as they are still waiting for the court’s endorsement.
Last month, City Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the Interpol tracked Yu in Japan.
He was first tracked in Bangkok, Thailand days after he was implicated in a series of carnapping incidents in Davao City. He was again found in Madrid, Spain last month.
The vice mayor initially offered a reward of P5 million for Yu's literal head, then added P1 million more to make it P6 million for this year. (ANC)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 05, 2013.