Davao police out in full force for gun ban enforcement-A A +A
Monday, January 14, 2013
THE Davao City Police Office (DCPO) is out in full force for the implementation of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) gun ban all over the metropolis starting Sunday.
DCPO chief Senior Superintendent Ronald dela Rosa said they have set up checkpoints in the city and assigned personnel to man these of shifting schedule.
Helping out DCPO in implementing the gun ban are the Task Force Davao and other military personnel, said Dela Rosa.
"Tanan atong kapulisan committed gyud sa pag-implement sa gun ban. Shifting karon ang mga pulis nga magbantay sa mga checkpoints diri sa siyudad (All of our policemen are committed in implementing the gun ban. The policemen who will be manning the checkpoints have shifting schedules)," dela Rosa said.
"We are also establishing random checkpoints in different parts of the city. We will have to coordinate with Comelec on where these random checkpoints will be established," dela Rosa added.
The DCPO chief said three violators of the Comelec gun ban are now in police custody.
Buhangin police arrested two suspects who shot a man in Purok 7, Barangay Communal, Buhangin District on Sunday, while one minor was surrendered by his mother to the Toril police after shooting a fellow minor in Andaya St., Barangay Daliao, Toril, Davao City.
Dela Rosa also urged the different police stations to intensify the follow-up investigations on the series of shooting incidents that took place last week. He said they have already identified some of the suspects but most them are still at large.
Last Friday, a 19-year-old student of the University of Mindanao was gunned down at S.I.R. Phase 2, New Matina, while another man was shot dead by motorcycle-riding men along R. Castillo St. on the same day. (Ruji Peter S. Abat)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 15, 2013.