DSWD can't release rice sans distribution plan-A A +A
Saturday, January 19, 2013
THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in Davao Region on Friday said Barug Katawhan, an organization of Typhoon Pablo victims, has yet to submit its distribution plan needed to release the 10,000 sacks of rice for the affected residents in Compostela Valley.
DSWD regional director Priscilla Razon told reporters that without the distribution plan, they cannot release the sacks of rice earlier promised by DSWD Secretary Dinky Soliman.
"That is part of the process. As government agency we are accountable to the people," Razon told reporters Friday after the handover of the 1,750 metric tons of rice donated by the United States government.
Soliman had earlier promised to give 10,000 sacks of rice in two days time through Barug Katawhan as demanded by the militant groups and residents who barricaded the national highway in Montevista for 12 hours Tuesday.
Soliman, however, had set certain conditions before releasing the rice.
Razon said that as of Friday, her office has not receive any distribution plan, nor were there representatives from Barug Katawhan or militant groups who came to DSWD.
"I will assure them that the 10,000 sacks or rice are there," Razon said.
But, before the DSWD can release the rice, Razon said, there must be a distribution plan that will indicate the names of the victims and the place of distribution.
Razon said personnel from DSWD must also be present during the distribution. (Charles Raymond A. Maxey)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 19, 2013.