Classes suspended Monday due to floods-A A +A
Monday, January 21, 2013
DAVAO City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio ordered the suspension of classes Monday in both private and public schools due to the flooding experienced by the metropolis Sunday.
City information officer Joseph Lawrence Garcia said the mayor's suspension order covers kindergarten to high school level.
Garcia said the Department of Education (Deped) in Davao Region was already informed of the order.
Several areas in Davao City went under water Sunday as a result of the heavy rain that lasted for hours and forced the evacuation of 5,165 families in 12 barangays.
Areas affected were Matina Gravahan, Jade Valley, NCCC Subdivision, Deca Tigatto, GEM and Don Julian Maa, San Rafael and areas near the Davao River.
Duterte-Carpio is also calling for a special session Monday of the City Council as she recommended that affected barangays be declared under a state of calamity.
"The declaration will depend on the City Council," the mayor told Sun.Star Davao in a text message Sunday.
Based on the data of the Central 911, the 5,165 families that were evacuated comprise of the 1,117 families from Talomo district, 2,072 families from Buhangin District, 1,808 in city's poblacion and 175 families in Paquibato district.
Dante Donaire of the Davao City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Center (DCRRMC) said the water level of Tamugan and Lasang rivers started to rise around 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Saturday, respectively, while Davao River was observed to rise at 1 a.m. Sunday.
Emmanuel Jaldon, chief of Central 911, said the incident can be considered as "one of the worst flood incidents in the city in terms of magnitude level of water."
He said no casualty was reported so far.
Maria Luisa Bermudo, City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) head, said there are around 25,825 families who were placed under 21 evacuation centers located in the districts of Buhangin, Talomo, and Paquibato, including City Poblacion.
Bermuda said all evacuation areas have workers from the City Health Office (CHO) to check on the condition of the evacuees.
Hypertension among senior citizens and children having fever are the most common consultations.
Jaldon said one of the problems they encountered was the residents who refused to be evacuated despite order.
"Matitigas ang mga ulo. Kahit nag bigay na kami ng warning, ayaw pa rin," Jaldon said.
Based on the forecast of the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services (Pagasa) issued at 5 a.m. Sunday, a tail-end of a cold front affected Northern Mindanao.
Bermudo said the number of affected families and individuals might increase or decrease anytime.
Jaldon said residents are advised to be alert all the time.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on January 21, 2013.