5 cops face robbery charges-A A +A
Monday, February 25, 2013
TWO of six suspects arrested by police last year for illegal drugs have filed complaints against five cops for stealing before the City Prosecutor's Office (CPO).
A source, who refused to be named for lack of authority to speak, said those charged for robbery were only identified by their surnames: Luminarias, Arellano, Doquilab, Cadenas and Mandias, all members of Sta. Ana Police Station.
The source added that he could not recall the complete names of those accused and also of the two complainants, although the counter charges were filed before the CPO last month under regular filing.
Superintendent Caezar Cabuhat, chief of the Sta. Ana police station, confirmed that five of his men are facing charges for robbery before the CPO, but refused to identify them when interviewed by Sun.Star Davao.
But the CPO is yet to resolve the charges filed by the personnel of Sta. Ana Police Station against the six suspects, two of whom filed counter charges against the arresting lawmen.
When asked about the details, Cabuhat said there were six men nabbed sometime in November or December 2012 in a raid at Quezon Boulevard in Davao City. The six were caught in a pot session.
"Two of the six suspects who are not residents of this city filed charges of robbery against our men here after these two men lost their valuables. But that happened after the raid was conducted," Cabuhat said.
"After the charges for violation of the Republic Act 9165 or The Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 has been filed against the suspects, meron lumapit dito... maybe paryente nila, and asked us kung pwede yung case na ipa-file namin against the suspects yung pwede sila i-bail (someone went to our office, maybe their relatives, and requested that the case to be filed against the two be bailable), which we cannot do that. So a week after that, we received the complaint," he narrated.
Cabuhat said they have already submitted their counter affidavit before the CPO last week on the matter.
Cabuhat added he will assist his men, who are facing the robbery charges, as he does not believe such accusation against them.
He said he will also seek assistance from the Davao City Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on the matter.
The six suspects nabbed for illegal drugs are now detained at the Davao City Jail in Maa.
Senior Superintendent Ronald M. dela Rosa, director of Davao City Police Office (DCPO), said that charges have been filed against the policemen is not new to him at all, though he does not believe the accusation against their men.
"Unsa man pud daw kawaton sa ila? Remember, it's a war against drugs. Expected na namo nga naa jud uban dili mag papildi (What can be stolen from them? Just remember, this is a war against drugs and we expect such moves because some simply refuse to be held helpless). They would really find ways just to escape charges against them and imprisonment," dela Rosa said.
The DCPO chief said despite those trials that his men are facing, the move of the suspects will never discourage nor stop them from conducting campaign against illegal drugs.
"In fact, mas pakusgan pa namo among campaign batok droga. Busa ako pa sa ila, muhawa sila diri sa Davao (We will intensify our campaign against drugs and so I advise those into drugs to leave Davao)," dela Rosa said, adding he believes that the charges filed against the five policemen will be dismissed for lack of evidence.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on February 26, 2013.