Police eye illegal recruiters behind mother’s slay-A A +A
Monday, August 26, 2013
THE woman who was shot dead outside the Matina Aplaya Elementary School Saturday may have been killed by illegal recruiters whose activities she was looking into after her husband was victimized, the police said.
Roselle Balo, 42, of NHA Bangkal, was gunned down in front of Matina Aplaya Elementary School on Saturday afternoon as she fetched her daughter from school.
"Base sa na-gather namo na information, ang bana ani niya (Balo) nabiktima sa kini illegal recruitment. Wala ka abroad kay igo lang daw gipangwartahan. Mao ang gihimo sa biktima, nag imbestiga siya ug iyang gisuta kung kinsa ni sila (From what we have gathered, the husband of the slain woman was victimized by illegal recruiters. He was not able to go abroad and was instead swindled. The woman was investigating on the activities of these illegal recruiters)," said Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Director Sr. Supt Ronald dela Rosa said.
"Sa among nahibal-an, gipangtag daw niya sa Facebook tong mga nag recruit sa iyang bana. Naa pa gani daw away nahitabo. So, we are now trying to find out if this thing has something to do sa kaso ni Balo (We learned that she even tagged the illegal recruiters in Facebook and that there was an argument that ensued. We are now trying to find out if this has something to do with her death)," he added.
Superintendent Julius Silagan, chief of the Talomo Police Station, in a separate interview, said the station had already invited two alleged illegal recruiters tagged on the death of Balo on Saturday evening.
Silagan, however, refused to name the alleged recruiters, as said recruiters are subject for validation and investigation.
"Matud pa sa amo na imbitahan, miangkon sila nga involve sila sa pag pang recruit pero mi deny sila nga naa sila kinalaman sa pagkamatay ni Balo. Wala daw sila idea kung kinsa pud daw naa sa luyo sa krimen (According to those we invited, they admitted they are recruiters but denied having any hand in Balo’s death. They claimed not having any knowledge about the crime)," Silagan said.
Silagan added they are now looking to a particular recruiter who was also tagged in this case. He said they are supposed to invite the person for some queries, but the latter could not be found.
Police are also looking into the two other shooting incidents last week, in which one died.
The fatality was identified as Jessie de Dios Nuñez, 45, a driver, of No.53 Riverside in Bolton Isla. The wounded was Michael Garcia, a dispatcher, of Manggahan in Ulas.
Dela Rosa, in an interview, said the Talomo Police Station and San Pedro Police are already conducting investigation on the matter.
With regards the Garcia case, Silagan said they still do not have any suspect. Garcia was shot at the Minute Burger stall in front of the Coca-Cola plant in Ulas, Friday.
Supt. Joel Consulta, chief of the San Pedro police station, also echoed the same answer with regards the death of Nuñez who succumbed to six gunshot wounds, four in the head; one in the chest and one at the back of his body at the corner of San Pedro and Legaspi Streets on Friday.
Like the case of Garcia, they still do not have any suspect.
Records from the Davao City Police Office's Investigations and Detection Management Branch showed 41 were killed from shooting incidents since July 1 this year.
Dela Rosa said majority of the shootings are still under investigation. He added that he is mad to those behind the shooting incidents and cannot wait to arrest them soon.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 26, 2013.