DA chief: Ungab's pork barrel all accounted for-A A +A
Friday, August 30, 2013
DAVAO City Rep. Isidro T. Ungab feels vindicated by Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Proceso Alcala’s testimony that his Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel, is all accounted for.
In a statement, Ungab quoted what Alcala said during a House budget hearing on Thursday that his "projects had been fully implemented, validated not just by statements under oath but also by pictures."
Alcala also said that these were fully liquidated.
Ungab, who heads the Committee on Appropriations and was presiding over the hearing, asked Alcala whether the projects he funded had been implemented or were fictitious. Alcala said his department released P44 million to Kaupdanan para sa mga Mangunguma Foundation Inc. (KMFI), for Ungab and five other lawmakers which included An Waray party-list Rep. Neil Montejo, Masbate Rep. Scott Davies Lanete, former Camarines Sur Rep. Arnulfo Fuentebella, and Oriental Mindoro Rep. Reynaldo Umali.
Alcala said that his office has documents from the Securities and Exchange Commission showing that KMFI is a legitimate non-government organization, that's why his department granted its accreditation. KMFI was later linked to the P10 billion pork scam suspect Janet Lim Napoles.
Alcala told the appropriations committee that during the period of July 2010 to August 2012, his department did not allow the PDAF to be coursed through the DA, claiming that the guidelines were not clear.
However, he said that he was asked by congressmen and the Department of Budget and Management to resume the practice.
Alcala said that his department saw valid reason so he agreed to continue the practice.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on August 31, 2013.