Duterte clarifies issue on bus suspension-A A +A
Friday, September 6, 2013
DAVAO City Vice Mayor Paolo "Pulong" Duterte clarified his stand on the suspension of 15 out of the 261 bus units of Bachelor Express, Inc. after a local commentator accused him of endangering the means of livelihood of the affected bus drivers.
In a released statement, Duterte admitted having personally requested the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) in Davao Region to suspend the franchise of the bus company involved in last week's accident in Lasang that resulted to the death of four people.
"I had to request for it kay di nako matulon nga adlaw-adlaw naay mamatay nga Dabawenyo tungod sa pagdrive aning mga tawhana," Duterte said.
"Ayaw ko ingna nga gikulban ko na sila ug kaldero kay gusto lang nako! Gi himo ko na para sa tanang Dabawenyo nga naa sa dalan adlaw-adlaw. Di ko na isugal ilang mga kinabuhi!" he added.
The vice mayor said that only one franchise comprising 15 units was suspended by the LTFRB, thus if the bus company wanted to help their affected employees, they could have readily assigned them to other bus units since the affected drivers are still allowed to drive other buses.
"Now, the company has the discretion to allow these drivers to drive other units whose franchises were not suspended subject of course to a seminar nga gi hangyo nato sa companya," Duterte said.
Duterte advised his critics to check first the facts of the case before putting the blame on him.
"Responsible journalism would dictate you to appreciate the true facts. The suspension was a preventive suspension and not a penalty. Meaning to say that the LTFRB (not my office), in the exercise of their function, found cause to suspend the franchise pending investigation," he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on September 06, 2013.