P2-M bounty still up for cinema bombers-A A +A
Sunday, September 22, 2013
ALTHOUGH the authorities have already identified the two suspects behind the twin blasts inside cinemas in shopping malls in Davao City, Mayor Rodrigo Duterte said the P2-million bounty is still being offered to anyone who can provide more information on the two.
“It is operative already,” Duterte said Saturday evening, referring to the P1-million bounty for each of the bombing suspects, who were spotted on the CCTV footages.
Duterte said the reward is intended for the additional information which will be vital in tracking down the two, who, they believe, have already left the city after the incident.
Duterte on Thursday gave the two suspects a 48-hour ultimatum to surface and clear their names until 3:30 p.m. of Saturday, but no one showed up.
“In so far as [the] bombing suspects, kahibalo na mi kinsa (we already know them). But wala na ‘to ngari mao to naay P1-million na reward, hoping na naay nakaila (But they are no longer here that’s why we have the P1-million reward in the hope that somebody knows them). Some person might be interested on the money to help the government,” the mayor said.
The authorities found out that the bombings inside the SM City Cinema 1 and Gaisano Mall Cinema 5 were perpetrated by the same person, who, according to Davao City Police chief Ronald dela Rosa, has a lump on his right lower cheek.
Another person is also being tracked down for allegedly buying 21 pieces of batteries believed to be an accessory to the explosive device.
Based on the description and the help of “other government security forces,” Duterte said the intelligence community already had the names of the two “persons of interest” but he refused to mention them.
He said they will soon distribute photos of the bombers.
“We are skeptical in the sense na pag tan-aw namo medyo layo na ni sila (that they’re no longer here) but we are hoping that somehow with the reward and the help of government security forces applying the pressure, [we would] be able to get the vital information leading to the arrest, prosecution and maybe, conviction of the perpetrators,” he said.
Duterte also refused to identify what “other government security forces” he was referring to.
“We are forced to do that. We do not want to do it but because terrorism is something which we have to fight, wala gyud ta mahimo (we had no choice) but we have to,” Duterte said, referring to the “other government security forces” he mentioned.
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on September 23, 2013.