Bros charged with attempted homicide-A A +A
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
TWO brothers were charged with grave threat and attempted homicide before the Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) for trying to kill two security guards last year.
The brothers are Melchor and Christopher Luis.
Prosecutor Victoriano Bello found probable cause to charge them based on the complaint filed by Rolan Villaflor and Ronel Penaso, security guards under the Opscor Security Agency.
Villaflor and Penaso, in their joint affidavit, said the incident happened on October 26, 2012 at the corner of Tionko and F. Torres streets.
The security guards were guarding a parcel of land disputed by squatters and the heirs of Vicente and Vicenta Tionko. The complainants were tasked to prevent any squatter from establishing shanties in the said land.
Around 10:30 a.m. of the same day, the security guards noticed that the siblings were busy rebuilding their shanties, prompting the complainants to reprimand them. The siblings, however, attacked the two security guards.
Melchor tried to hit Villaflor with a steel shovel on his head but the latter managed to avoid the strike. Melchor made another attempt in hitting Villaflor's head with a shovel, yet he still missed. Melchor then passed the shovel to his brother who then attacked Villaflor. Fortunately, Villaflor avoided the assault.
After trying to hurt the two security guards, the respondents then exclaimed, "Isog mong mga gwardiyaha mo? Sulod mo diri kay mangamatay mo! (So you guards are brave? Enter here and you will be killed.)"
The case is still with the Office of the Clerk of Courts of MTCC and is set to be raffled off to an MTCC branch today, Thursday. (RSA)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 10, 2013.