‘Food poisoning’ downs 13 workers-A A +A
Sunday, October 13, 2013
DAVAO CITY -- Thirteen employees of Holcim Philippines Inc. allegedly suffered from water and food poisoning after eating seaweeds in Ilang, Tibungco in this city on Saturday evening.
The victims were identified as Romeo Trinidad, 43; Sherwin Palad, 24; Samuel Zeta, 20; Joel Senn, 33; Daniel Sarmiento, 20; Ambert Paulino, 29; Michael Caacbay, 29; Florante Barrientos, 31; Mark Anthony Ubalde Corren, 21; Denver Damaso, 30; Fredrick Alfarez, 36; Melvin Felin, 26; and Pepe Valena, 21.
The Bunawan police said the victims complained of stomach pain, loose bowel movement, and nausea at around 10 p.m. Saturday. The victims believe the poisoning was caused by the seaweed and water they had taken earlier.
Personnel from the Trabmoc Paramedics and Bunawan police brought the 13 victims to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) for medical treatment.
In a phone interview, however, Police Officer 2 Roldan M. Aquino, Bunawan police investigator, said that based on medical findings of one Dr. Delos Reyes, the victims were just dehydrated.
It was learned that the victims, all employees of Holcim Bulacan Branch, are in the city to work on a project at Holcim Davao Branch.
Aquino said the victims were temporarily billeted at Bay Wave in Ilang.
"Actually, dili kaayo to delikado. According to Dr. Delos Reyes, nakulangan ra sila sa tubig unya nasudlan ug hangin ilang tiyan gikan sa ilang byahe, una sila nanihapon," Aquino said.
He added that the seaweed and water taken by the victims have nothing to do with what happened to them.
Aquino said the doctor did not mention if the cause of the stomach pain, bowel movement, and nausea was water and food poisoning.
He said the victims were discharged from the SPMC on Sunday. (Sun.Star Davao/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 14, 2013.