Maribojoc mayor hits Gordon, thanks Dutertes-A A +A
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
DAVAO CITY -- Maribojoc, Bohol Mayor Leoncio Evasco Jr. denied playing politics in the distribution of relief goods in his town, and at the same time criticized Philippine Red Cross (PRC) chair Richard Gordon for his “dictator-like” style of distribution of relief goods.
But Evasco thanked the Dutertes of Davao City for their aid to Maribojoc and the rest of Bohol and some parts of Cebu.
Earlier, the PRC claimed that Evasco drove them out of Maribojoc while they were distributing relief goods. The PRC claimed that Evasco wanted the PRC to turn over the goods to the local government for distribution.
The PRC personnel said they cannot turn over the goods to the local government unit as it is against their policy.
In an interview over dxRP Radyo ng Bayan Davao on Tuesday morning, Evasco said he has nothing against the PRC as an organization. He said he is thankful that the Red Cross is helping feed his constituents.
Evasco explained though that the distribution of goods by the PRC in his town has "disenfranchised" a lot of victims since it was not systematic.
He said he could not play politics since he is already on his last term as mayor, adding the PRC was the one used by his political opponents.
Evasco said that at times like this, they do not need enemies as he appealed to all those who wanted to help his people to also respect the victims and treat them humanely.
Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte flew in to Maribojoc on Sunday and personally gave the P1-million cheque to Evasco. Duterte also distributed P500,000 to each of the 25 quake-affected towns and cities in Bohol and Cebu.
Former mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio also visited Evasco last week and brought with her relief goods. Evasco served as Duterte's city administrator for almost a decade before returning home to Maribojoc, one of the areas badly hit by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake on October 15.
As of Tuesday, October 22, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that 597,598 families or 2,991,143 persons were affected by the killer quake. Of the affected, 66,717 families or 344,347 persons were displaced and served both inside and outside evacuation centers in Bohol.
The earthquake also killed at least 194 people, injured 654, and keft 12 others missing as of 6 p.m. Tuesday, said the NDRRMC. Rescue and retrieval operations for missing persons continue, while more and more relief goods were transported to Bohol by concerned groups and agencies to help the affected families. (Sun.Star Davao/Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on October 23, 2013.